injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BornInSpain, Aug 21, 2011.

1. BornInSpain

BornInSpain Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Fort Kent
    something got inside of my coop, it duged a hole, and took 3 chickens, I found one of them, she is quite injured, I cleaned her wounds, I don't see active bleeding, but she does have multiple bite wounds, she falls asleep easily and she is not getting up. i found her this morning, I am wondering should I give her a chnce or cull her and take her out of her missery...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personally, I would give her a day or so to get over the shock; chickens do go in shock. Then if she will eat or drink I would give her a safe, quiet place and a chance to recover. There are some remarkable stories on here of chickens recovering from injuries. I have one hen myself who I thought was dead after a coyote attack; she is now my best broody.

3. tpcochin79

tpcochin79 New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    I also think you should give her a chance. a spare dog carrier makes a great med. unit for your bird. You can spray blue-kote on the wounds, it is used for most livestock in including chickens. It anti-fungli and anti-bacterial. I keep it on hand and bought it at my local feed store. I hope your chicken recovers. Good luck.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by