Injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mickeyluvr, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Mickeyluvr

Mickeyluvr New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Lodi, California
    On Thursday 9/8/11 my sisters Labrador attacked my flock and killed 5 of my 8 chickens 2 were found to be ok but one is hurt she doesn't have any visible damage. But she won't walk and has been sitting under the coop. I have had to pick her up and carry her to the water feeder and she will drink it has been 95-98 degrees. She has not been eating I am worried she will starve I give them scratch and crumble but she doesn't seem interested. Is ther something else that might get her to eat.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I would try to entice her with mealworms, maybe some scrambled eggs. She's been thru alot, give her whatever she wants.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    sounds like she's in shock. Scrambled eggs are eggcellent for her! Give her as much as she'll eat. She should snap out of it in a couple of days so long as she knows that the dog can't get her.

4. Mickeyluvr

Mickeyluvr New Egg

Jan 23, 2011
    Lodi, California
    I read another post that suggested scrambled eggs. So I scrambled 2 and took them out I was able to get her to eat about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons. She just has this blank stare I hope she pulls through. Next i may move some pots and collect some bugs for her. Thanks for your quick replys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by