Injured hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick raiser, Jan 11, 2013.

1. chick raiser

chick raiser Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Hi all,

A hen of mine has an injury. I am not sure if this is caused by a hawk or another bird or from one of the roosters. The skin under her wings is torn badly. Her flesh is visible. She is still scared and I have her isolated since the roosters really attack her. I guess the smell of her wounds attracts them. I am using a spray that contains neomycin sulfate. Any idea how long it will take to heal? Will the skin be replaced? The good thing is that her wounds don't smell bad and she is eating. I hope for the best.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] "Roosters" as in many I am assuming. The most common cause of such injuries is multiple roosters gang breeding hens and tearing their sides with toenails and spurs. I would suggest separating most if not all of the roosters from the hens. How many roosters and how many hens do you have? This injured hen definately should be kept away from the roosters.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  3. chick raiser

Jan 10, 2013
    Well I had 5 roosters. The problem is that my hens are only 8. All the 5 roosters are young (4-5 months old now) so the last few days that they started being like this (violent between them and violent towards the hens), two of them lost their heads. Once my hen recovers, i will move two of the young roosters in the place that i use now as hospital and keep one with the hens. Once they gain some weight they will be culled too. In the following weeks i will get ten new birds The plan is 8 old hens plus a rooster and in the ten new birds i will have 9 hens and a rooster. Will than be ok?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there any place you can put the three remaining roosters for a while? .Having three young roosters in with only eight hens it is very likely that more of your hens will become injured.

5. chick raiser

Jan 10, 2013
    The only place i got is the "hospital" area. I use this place for hens when they want to incubate eggs or in cases i need to isolate a bird. Not sure how many days more it will take for the hen to have her wounds healed, but once it happens the rooster will move there for sure. Today I will make garden work so I will do some digging. This will make sure she eat a lot of worms. Proteins will help I guess.

6. chick raiser

Jan 10, 2013
    Some feedback on the injured hen. I used St. John's wort. The results are amazing. The recipe is simple. ?Collect some fresh St. John's wort and leave it to dry. Once it dries take the flowers and put them in a glass bottle. Fill half the bottle with flowers and add olive oil till you fill the bottle. Then leave the bottle on a place where it can get direct sunlight for something like 40 days. It's that simple. You can use this oil for wounds on your animals and you as well. Ancient Spartans were using that!!!
    Here is the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John's_wort

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by