1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by txrobnla, Jan 30, 2013.

1. txrobnla

txrobnla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    I'm so upset tonight. I got home to a very badly beat up hen. My Maran hen has been brutilized by my ******* EE Roos. What absolutely kills me and is I noticed they were getting rough and ordered saddles for the hens. The saddles came in today, one day too late. I don't know if she will be ok or not.

It looks like they completely ripped the skin off her back in about a 2" square section. She is not bleeding, so maybe it's not as bad as I think is.

I put her in the garage in a kennel and have put some antibiotics in her water to make sure she does not get an infection. Should I put any antibiotic cream on her wound or just leave it as it as and hope that she recovers?

Very upset chicken dad here. [​IMG]

-Rob

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    An antibiotic ointment ointment without the pain killing ingredient will facilitate healing. Such wounds generally heal rapidly. Multiple roosters gang breeding hens is a recipe for injury - frequently far more serious than your hen experienced. In my opinion it's time to get rid of most of those roosters.

3. txrobnla

txrobnla Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    thanks... She is looking better tonight. I'm going to let her recover for a few more days, then she get's to start wearing her fashionable saddle and can go back in the pen.

I only have two Easter Egger roosters. I had recently reduced the number of roosters and that's when most of the trouble started. If I have to I'll pull one of these two out of the pen, but hoping to leave them in,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by