1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Glen T, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Glen T

Glen T New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    I have a hen that seems to have lost all her skin across her back. Right where they lose their feathers due to the rooster mounting them. Her comb is laying over and her back looks like she has been burned.

I think something has cut her and the skin just rolled back and foward. Leaving big smile three inches at it's widest across her back to each thigh.

I'm thinking she needs to be put down. But don't want to give up on her yet.

Thanks Glen

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens heal some awful wounds. If you take her indoors, for the rest plus to be away from flies, gently clean the wound and put some Neosporin on it once a day or so, she may surprise you.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Don't give up on her yet. Chickens have a remarkable ability to heal quickly and completely. Clean the wound daily, and rub some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains any "caine" ingredients--those are bad for chickens) on the wound. I would isolate her away from the other birds so that the wound doesn't get picked on. Spraying Blue-Kote or another colored wound spray will help sanitize the wound, and will also help prevent other flock members from picking on her.

4. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    Don't give up on her I have a naked neck who was attacked and had the skin stripped off her neck very nasty wound I brought her in and cleaned her up and put some neo on it and just hoped for the best,I am glad to say she is recovering! Just give her a chance she might surprise you.

5. Glen T

Glen T New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Well my Hen didn't make it. She was one of my original flock so this was a big hit for us.

Thanks for all the replies. I belong to a few other forums and this one seems to be one of the best.

Thanks again

Glen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by