Injured Herring Gull

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by njschule, Jun 11, 2019.

1. njschule

njschule Hatching

Jun 11, 2019
    Good morning, I have a flock of chickens, turkeys, ducks and guinea hens. Over the past couple of years I have learned how to treat lots of injuries but this morning on the way to work, I saw a live gull on the side of the road. She was not getting out of the way of traffic so I picked her up. I removed the fish hook that was embedded in her neck and cut the fish line that was tying her foot to her chest. She only has one foot. The other webbed foot is gone at the ankle, which I think is common but sad. But, the real reason for the post - she also has two broken wings. They are broken and bleeding at the joint that is the equivalent of our elbow. Shoulder and wrist joints and bones seem okay. I live in Great Falls, Montana. I don't even need to call to know that no vet will see this bird. I contacted the Raptor Conservation Center in Bozeman but they weren't sure how to help without an x-ray and said if the break is at the joint, it is not fixable. So let's say worst case, that it is broken at the joint...should I put this bird out of its misery? Or if I bind the wings to the body and let them heal, will she integrate into my flock of other flightless birds? I believe everything deserves to live - it all may be inconvenient. I am not worried about inconvenient or I would have left her to die on the side of the road. What is possible? Thanks very much for your help.

2. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Poor guy. I wonder how he got tangled like that. If he sounds to be in that bad of shape, I think putting him out of his misery might be the best thing. It would be sad for him to not be able to fly anymore.

Sequel likes this.
  3. njschule

njschule Hatching

Jun 11, 2019
    Thanks RhodeIslandRed. I agree but I also know that my chickens don't really fly so I wonder if having her be a house bird might be okay for her. I will see how things progress and try to assess quality of life.

chickentrunks and Sequel like this.
  4. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Chickens know they cannot fly like regular birds, but the gull knows he was meant to fly high and having him be grounded like that just seems kinda sad. However, it's up to you. Good luck!

njschule and Sequel like this.
  5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    By the way, I assume you'll have to be feeding him fish? I wonder if he'd take some vitamins to help make him stronger?

njschule likes this.
  6. njschule

njschule Hatching

Jun 11, 2019
    RhodeIslandRed,
    Ah yes, I see what you are saying now about flying. That is a significant consideration. Feeding fish isn’t an issue as I feed sardines and other fish almost daily but you raising that question makes me also see that there are considerable factors to take into account. I appreciate your thoughts.

7. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    And you did mention having him for a housebird. That being the case you'd probably be keeping him in a cage, right? That's a sad thought to.

chickentrunks likes this.
  8. njschule

njschule Hatching

Jun 11, 2019
    Agreed. A caged life is not a life.

Helloworld and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    No, not for a bird who in his heart knows he was meant to fly high and free in the sky with other birds. To forever then to be grounded and never take flight again.

njschule likes this.
  10. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    It is suffering and needs to be put down. I am amazed at your efforts to save and I would have stopped and helped as well. I wonder if this was a run in with some type of plane?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: