injured?in shock rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RidiculousK, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RidiculousK

RidiculousK New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Hello everyone, I have often visited this site since I got my lovely chickens in the spring. All my questions have been answered but now I have a problem. My dog roughed up a rooster. She chased and the rooster crouched and the dog pulled some feathers out. I got there right away and rescued. He was limp but breathing and blinking. I put him in the coop on his own but later the other rooster began picking on him. Princess the injured rooster is now in a crate in my house dark and warm as he is not himself. Not eating drinking(that I have observed) and appears lethargic. Stands, looks, walks, clucks when I touch him but rather defeated looking . I suspect shock as he was a very high strung rooster ( hence the name princess). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thankyou.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I would keep him in the crate like you are, in the dark and warm and just let him be for a couple of hours or today yet. He is probably really stressed like you said. Did you check him over for puncture marks or see if the dog did any damage besides pulling feathers? If he has any bare spots might be a good idea to put blu-kote or something on there to avoid pecking. If he is feeling better you could try putting him back in the coop tonight after dark, just be sure you open or check the coop before the chickens are up in case the other roo decides to go after him again, the other roo is the boss roo?.
    :welcome

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I agree with the above. Good luck with him!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. RidiculousK

RidiculousK New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Yep, checked over the rooster and found a hole the size of a nickle under his wing. Smells bad . I can see his muscle. What do I do now?

7. RidiculousK

RidiculousK New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    And I am totally in the wrong section. sorry

8. RidiculousK

RidiculousK New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Did some searching and treated rooster. Cleaned with some warm saline, cut away matted feathers and slathered with polysporin as did another user. Wait and see I guess. On an interesting side note: this much chicken handling has allowed me to learn that I am allergic to them . It's hard to play chicken doctor while sneezing and tearing up.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Chickens are pretty darn tough and can heal from some pretty bad injuries. Just keep it clean and treat him like you are. Make sure he has plenty of water and would give him plenty of high protein food. Does it look like just the skin is affected / are you sure this injury is from the dog attack? If it happened really recently it shouldn't really smell unless something else is going on. If you want to go with antibiotics, you can get them at most farm stores in the livestock section.

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Give him electrolytes for shock/stress. May take him a couple of days to return to normal,chickens do not deal with stress at all,an attack is extremely stressful. Check him over very carefully everywhere for hidden wounds,lift up feathers to do this. Make sure he is eating/drinking,sometimes in stressful situations they stop eating/drinking,this is very serious. Make sure you keep him warm and quiet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by