1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured jaw on my hen!!! Need you help please!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SmallFlockGirl, Jan 12, 2014.

1. SmallFlockGirl

SmallFlockGirl New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Ferndale wa
    Yesterday morning the worst happened. The wind blew my coop door opened. The boyfriend and I both didnt check before letting the dogs out. This didnt end well. I hear my girls (chickens) screaming in pain. They had gotten out and the dogs found them. I got to one before anything major could happen. But my baby Judith wasnt so lucky. I found her not moving on the ground. She is unable to open one eye and can slightly open the other. But my main concern is her not able to move her bottom jaw. Ive been hand feeding (with a dropper) water mixed in smashed up feed. What else can I feed her for nutritional supplements??? How can I make her more comfortable?? I am un able to take her to the vet just yet. Every place is closed and I dont have the large amount of money for an oncall vet. What can I do to help her till then?? ALL HELP IS WECLOME! ! Thank you

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright and [​IMG] so sorry we had to meet this way [​IMG]

You might want to bring her in the house and put her in a box with an old towel or something comfortable and for feeding you might want to try an hardboiled egg peal mash up good with a fork and serve this is good for her and do this for a couple of days ......

This one could be important ,,,, next try and get a little run area for your chickens incase this happens again as it takes some time to raise chickens and you do not want it wiped out in a moment .....

3. SmallFlockGirl

SmallFlockGirl New Egg

Jan 12, 2014
    Ferndale wa
    Thank you! Next step is to bring her inside. The boyfriend and I are in the middle of building a fence as we type. Its going to take up a good chunck of the yard and will keep the dogs away. The girls have their coop and run but the fence will give them their own yard. I only have three chickens at the moment, but do plan on more. And when you say peal do you mean the white part of the egg?
    Thank you

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

I am very sorry about your hen. These things do happen. If she were my hen, I would bring her inside and get her under a heat lamp. Infra-red lamp. A very healing light. Get it up to about 85 degrees. Injury can send birds into shock and shock can kill them faster than the injury. The first thing shock does is make them cold. So I would heat her up. Then assess her condition. If she is in a lot of pain and appears that there is no hope for her, I would put her down. If you think there might be a chance for her, I would keep her under heat for a few days. Keep her in a very quite place in the house where she has complete privacy. No noises or traffic. I would then assess her again in a few days. If she is not going to be able to live a normal life, then I would put her down. Chickens do have a wonderful ability to heal and it is possible she may. But don't let her suffer and do the right thing if she is.

Good luck with your hen. It is great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do as the others have suggested. I would also suggest darkening the box and keeping her quiet. She is probably in shock. If the beak problem is only a sprain or strain, it should resolve. If it is broken, the prognosis is not nearly so positive.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your hen, good luck with her.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    dogs + chickens usually end in a very bad way for chickens.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I'm sorry that happened, good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by