injured leg help

Michelle in NM

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2017
I'm not sure what happened to this gal but she's been limping for a week. She's still eating and drinking plus moving around during the day. Until last night she had been going up the ladder to her roost. Last night she was at the bottom of the ladder sleeping so I moved her to be with the other girls. She lets me touch the leg and isn't making much noise. Today I did soak the leg in epsom salt. Any ideas what could be the issue based on these pictures? It appears bruised, I can't feel a significant break. Should we try to let it get better on her own or send her to chicken heaven? You can also see how she holds it. This is how she walk on it as well. Taking her to the vet isn't an option.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_67e5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_67e5.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6171.JPG
    IMG_6171.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6172.JPG
    IMG_6172.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 5
It does look bruised and painful. You probably can’t tell if there is a break without an xray by a vet. Is that a possibility? You might try using some padding and vet wrap to add support to the leg and foot, making a boot. I would probably put her on and take her off the roost each day, or place her in a dog crate to sleep at night, so she isn’t reinjuring her leg.
Here is some splinting info:
http://www.starlingtalk.com/fractures.htm#legsplint

Back
Top Bottom