Injured Leg/Hip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by opalfe, Jan 19, 2014.

1. opalfe

opalfe New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    One of my girls was attacked by a hawk about a week ago. She injured either her leg or hip. I think hip because I was cleaning her up today and I could feel it grinding. She can move her legs and toes. She is alert and trying to move around, but falls on her face if she tries to walk. I have been feeding her bread soaked in water because she is not eating much of her feed although she will peck in it. She laid an egg the day after the attack, but not since. I'm at a lose as to how to help her. I could some vets and they want $250 just to diagnose her and will give no advice over the phone. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. circesfire

circesfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    Can you feel along the leg to determine where the break is? You may be able to splint it, but if the break is very high up in her femur you may not be able to.

3. opalfe

opalfe New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    I think its high up. I would think if her leg/hip was broken she would not be able to move it.

4. circesfire

circesfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Surprise, Arizona
    You would be surprised what they are able to do with a broken leg. Can you feel a break?

5. opalfe

opalfe New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    No, just that grinding, which may be a break.

6. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Today I let my rooster and hens out to free range for the first time since winter began. Everyone was happy and being good. After about 30 mins. My rooster started acting funny. He was squating and wouldn't walk for a while. When he did start walking it was funny looking. He even let me walk up to him and pet him and check him out which NEVER happens. We put them all back in after a couple hours and the girls started pecking at him. He is usually very calm and sure of himself. But everything has been freaking him out. Flying around into the walls. Since that I have seperated him into a large dog kennel so the girls would stop hurting him. We were out with them the whole time and didn't see anything unusual like predators or a fight. My question is what could be wrong with him. I didn't see any wounds other than on his comb and waddle where the girls had started pecking him. Please help.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It's best to start a new thread of your own to get more replies, and for the OP to get their help. I would wonder if he sprained a leg or could possibly be showing signs of Mareks disease. Did he get a Mareks vaccine? If a chicken gets sick, the others seem to know something is wrong, and will try to hurt him. I would keep him in a crate with food and water for at least a week to monitor his eating, bowel movements, to provide rest for his legs, and to watch his behavior. A vitamin suppliment added to his water would be a good idea.

8. susan83

susan83 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by