Injured leg...muscle withering

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by californiachicks, Sep 19, 2012.

1. californiachicks

californiachicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Our 11 week old buff orpington began to limp a little over a week ago. By the next day, she could not put weight on her right leg and hops. We separated her from the rest of the chickens and have been giving her 1/4 baby aspirin daily. We took her to the vet for fecal work. She tested negative to parasites. She cannot walk on her right leg, but does not seem to have any other symptoms of Marek's. Her poo is normal. Her the muscle around her femur bone on her right leg is withering to nothing. We do not have money to pay for an xray to see if she has a fracture or torn ligament. There appears to be no swelling, bruising and no bleeding. Her right leg is noticeably cooler than the left...as if blood is not correctly circulating. We are all so depressed. She is depressed. We put her out of her fully enclosed crate for short periods because she doesn't have much of an appetite when alone and prefers to eat with the rest of the chickens.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I don't know what may cause wasting muscle in a chicken so young. I would still keep a look out for Marek symptoms .... But possible seperate her with a friend, on soft bedding and easy access to food. Give vitamins in her water. Try giving scrambled egg etc to entice her to eat. Perhaps move that leg in a normal motion from time to time. Add vitamin E gel cap, pierced and dribbled on her food..a few times a week. Their are chickens that can live with one leg..it just depends on her attitude.

3. californiachicks

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you. I wonder if a torn muscle or torn ligament can 1) cause leg withering and poor circulation? and 2) can be healed?

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I would try the physical therapy as stated above, it worked for my dog on her hip after she was rolled under a car. she couldn't put weight on her leg but after a couple of months of therapy she walked and ran on it. good luck

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think a torn ligament or muscle may heal...it may not in the correct way however and I'm sure it would take a lot of casting the leg. I would think that a torn muscle or an infected muscle that is not able to move correctly and wither.... She is young, so she has that on her side. Does she just drag the leg?

6. californiachicks

Aug 11, 2011
    No, she doesn't drag the leg. Just not putting any weight on it. She uses the foot to balance...but hops when she needs to move about. She lifts up the right leg to clean it and I can see her move her claw as she cleans it. There are signs that maybe over time, one day it can heal. But the fact that it has been a little over a week and she is still hopping, and the thigh feels so thin....makes me so sad.

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Well you are giving her the best life possible, ....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by