Injured leg on our female Pekin

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roxey611, Jul 10, 2016.

1. roxey611

roxey611 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    last week or so we have noticed that our female pekin(Carmen) has a limp on her left foot. When she waddles fast it doesn't seem to bother her that much, but when she's grazing on the lawn it seems to bother her more. We have an acre pond for them and they are basically impossible to catch. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. She's been nesting in the woods and I don't know if she's limping because she's just stiff from sitting or if it is something we need to really worry about. Like I said when she gets moving the limp barely shows. Please, any recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @roxey611 can you get close enough to see her legs well or use binoculars she could have a wound that will need to be treated or infection could set in. Maybe snapping turtle got hold of her. Might take someone to help you get her but a large net and canoe or kayak may help. She really should be examined

Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  3. roxey611

roxey611 New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    Thank you so much!! I'm going to try to get close enough. It's so hard to get her. She's laying on a nest and only gets up for a little bit. She wants nothing to do with us when she's on her nest. She just hisses at us. Hopefully we will be able to get her. Cross our fingers.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she is on a nest get her then. They usually don't get up and run when sitting they want to defend their nest but it would be a good time to have an examine.

Good luck

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Plastic poultry fence is fairly inexpensive and can be used to make a movable corral.

Get a couple of helpers . . . and have a pet carrier handy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by