Injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2BD4C10C, May 19, 2016.

1. 2BD4C10C

2BD4C10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    One of my 8 week old Barred Rock chicks got herself in a pickle today. She managed to get stuck for at least a few hours and when I found her and got her free the one leg was cold to the touch and she was unable to put it down right to walk, it stuck out behind her. She does move it and the foot warmed up quickly and she can put weight on it if I put it in the proper position to walk but after the first step it goes right back behind her again. I didnt feel anything out of place and when I pulled lightly on the leg she pulls back strongly.

I have brought her inside and wrapped the leg to her body with toes straight so that it is in the sitting position. She is eating and drinking right now and dosnt look like she is really stressed.

My question is did I do the right thing wrapping it and is there anything else I can do for her? My biggest concern is nerve damage but I am hoping at her age it might heal at least enough for her to walk ok again.

2. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    It sounds like you've done a great job so far! Wrapping it was the right thing to do. It's important to just make sure that she's eating and drinking well. I would keep her inside and keep her warm for now and I believe that's about all you can do to help at this point. The good thing is that I don't think she's in danger of dying. However if the pain seems unbearable for her the best thing might to have her euthanized.
    Right now we won't be able to tell if she will have permanent nerve damage or not. If she does it won't be that big of a deal. We have a chicken with nerve damage in her foot and she does just fine. Something else you can try is doing short "physical therapy" sessions with her. Just support her and have her walk around for a few minutes then give her a little treat at the end. I hope she improves and this was helpful. Good luck!
    henny1129 :)

3. 2BD4C10C

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    Update: She can now keep the leg under her so I removed to wrap so she can use it a little. Her toes are still curled but she can hold them straight. She is eating, drinking and grooming herself. She didnt want to walk much though so I didnt bother her for long. She is pretty tame since we have loved on them daily since we brought them home.

She was very happy to be able to groom her feathers where the wrap was lol

4. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I'm glad she's doing better! If she doesn't want to walk much just let her rest for a bit until she's a bit stronger. The toes could stay curled forever, which is what happened to our chicken with nerve damage, her toes are curled forever. This isn't a huge deal though. I suggest when she gets older you can turn her nails and that will help her walk better. :)
    henny1129

5. 2BD4C10C

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    I had success with a tom turkey who got hurt by a bigger tom making a "shoe" with cardboard and string. He wore one for a few weeks and the toes locked straight so he could walk pretty normal after that. I will try it with her if I have to. Not sure it will work but worth a shot.

I swear I never would have thought about her getting stuck where she did.

6. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I've read about making the shoe before, it's cool that it worked on your turkey. :) And remember that it's no ones fault that she got stuck, things just happen with chickens.

7. 2BD4C10C

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    I am very thankful that I had the urge to go sit and watch them awhile or I wouldnt have found her until that night when I shut them up in the coop or worse not until the next day if one of the kids shut them up that night.
    I

8. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Yeah, it's good that you found her when you did. :)

9. 2BD4C10C

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    Her toes are curled so I have her in her "shoe" so that she can walk properly and hopefully the foot will get better or it will freeze in the right position so she can walk relatively normally again. She is doing fine still confined in a small area so she dosnt get into trouble again any time soon.

10. henny1129

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    It sounds like this shoe might help! Good luck! And keep us updated! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by