Broken leg?

chickenlover007

Crowing
Sep 21, 2020
PNW
A little while ago I posted a thread on my chicken who wasn't walking on one leg. Its been a week and she still wont put weight on her leg. It's not green anymore and she's doing slightly better, but she still wont walk on it. I recently treated her for bumble foot and left for the week. I gave some family members who were staying behind to change her bandages every two days and to put anti bacterial spray on said foot every time they changed the bandages and to give her accessible food and water every day. I believe they gave her food and water but the bandages and anti bacterial spray were completely neglected. her foot scabbed over but now her pad is very very hard. She is also missing a scale that I am starting to worry about. she often tries to put down her foot but just ends up scraping at the ground with it. she can hop/flyish around but she doesn't do it unless she has to. My co chicken owner is leaning heavily toward putting her down unless I fix her soon. How do I fix her?

Attachments

• Screenshot (45).png
    Screenshot (45).png
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
A little while ago I posted a thread on my chicken who wasn't walking on one leg. Its been a week and she still wont put weight on her leg. It's not green anymore and she's doing slightly better, but she still wont walk on it. I recently treated her for bumble foot and left for the week. I gave some family members who were staying behind to change her bandages every two days and to put anti bacterial spray on said foot every time they changed the bandages and to give her accessible food and water every day. I believe they gave her food and water but the bandages and anti bacterial spray were completely neglected. her foot scabbed over but now her pad is very very hard. She is also missing a scale that I am starting to worry about. she often tries to put down her foot but just ends up scraping at the ground with it. she can hop/flyish around but she doesn't do it unless she has to. My co chicken owner is leaning heavily toward putting her down unless I fix her soon. How do I fix her?
How long has it been since she hurt herself, The pic on the right sure looks like it's broken and may be beyond repair unless the vet has a boat payment and suggests he/she re-break it and splint it. Amazing, that it hasn't gotten infected with that open area. Germs are small critters and they can get in the smallest of places.

Can you take her to a vet for an xray. It kind of looks like a fracture in her leg in the pic on the right. Here is some splinting information, but it is a splinting guide:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

thanks so much for the feed back, I cant take her to the vet, we don't have one for birds and it would be too expensive if we did. I have to fix her myself or put her down. . She hasn't been walking for about a week, I don't know how long the big leg injury has been there for. Thanks for the advice, anymore you have would be greatly appreciated!

How long has it been since she hurt herself, The pic on the right sure looks like it's broken and may be beyond repair unless the vet has a boat payment and suggests he/she re-break it and splint it. Amazing, that it hasn't gotten infected with that open area. Germs are small critters and they can get in the smallest of places.

Back
Top Bottom