Injured Leg........

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
Can a chicken sprain its leg?
hu.gif

When I let the chickens out this morning one hen was limping and slow to walk. She was fine the evening before when I put them away for the night.

I can not see any injury or feel any break in the leg. She will stand on both feet, but keeps holding her leg up and also she is laying down a lot. The foot and toes all seem fine.

I think the problem is in her hip, but the hip has full movement, but it seems painful to her. There is no swelling.

I have put her in a small cage with food and water so she can rest and not keep trying to keep up with the other chickens. She is a young hen under a year old and a bantam breed so very light in weight.

If it is sprained how long till I start to see improvement?

She is ,of course, my best hen and most friendly (and only buff colour one). Why do these things always happen to the nicest ones?!
hit.gif

They can and do. It sometimes happens when jumping down from the roost. Sounds like you checked her out well and hopefully she'll be better in a week.

Thanks for your replies.

Thankfully today she seems a lot better. She is only limping very slightly now, but she is still resting a lot. Guess that is actually good!

I think she will be OK.

Back
Top Bottom