Injured, limping chick who isn't recovering

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Elle, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Elle

Elle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    Hi, this is my first post. Been reading a lot on this forum but haven’t found an answer yet. I three chicks that I hatched from an incubator and are just over a month old. At 2weeks one began severely limping and her joint swelled. Before this she has no problems walking, no swelling, loved running around and her toes were normal and not curled.
    I think it has been injured because that day i moved them into an old bird cage for more room and her and another chick were trying to jump out.

It has been over 2 weeks now and nothing’s changed, maybe even a little bit worse. About a week ago she started getting red blochy skin on her bottom and now dark red around the base of her beak. She has always had really runny and smelly poos as seen in oen the photos below. She just sits all day and hobbles/limps to food and water. The other chicks are not picking on her and she is eating just as much as the others. however, she isn't growing as fast as she was before her injury. She was same size as the other black chick who is much taller now as seen in photo.

I put the girls on the rickets diet and supplements in their water for more vitamins and to help her recover a couple days after her injury. This hasn’t made any visible difference so far. I tried placing a simple splint with a popsicle and tape on each side of her upper leg which hasn't made much difference. It caused her skin to break a bit and has got really red and sore for her. I've tried reading a lot of diseases but haven't found anything yet that answeres this.

The chicks spend most of the day now in the main chook yard with our to other hens and isnt harming the chicks at all. They sleep inside as it gets too cold outside and i clean their brooder where they sleep every day to reduce chance on infection. I can't afford to go vet so I'm trying to help her as much as i can.

Any ideas what is or what i can do to help? i don't want to put her down. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Elle

Elle Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

oh and this photo which is closer up

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have a silkie chick that looks just like that too. Does anyone know anything?
    I don't know if mine was injured or if it is some sort of deficiency. Mine are all on a medicated chick starter. I know mine wasn't born like that I have pics of her and she was normal. Now her leg looks like yours and sort of twisted outwards. She doesn't act like it hurts her. I don't know what to do.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by