Injured limping RIR***

Half-a-dozen

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
NJ
Last night we had an attack (posted under Predators- CHICKENS ROOSTING WITH RED-TAILED HAWK??)
One was killed.
Last night this Girl a RIR was seen limping but mildly. Now she is still forging the grounds but barely making it around. She is 4 months young. Has never layed an egg yet. Still eating and drinking as far as I can watch and see. There are no other Physical signs of injury noted except for the limping. Limping favoring the left leg.
What do I do or should I do.
Is there anything I can do???
Cindy
hit.gif
idunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
First I would gather her up and inspect her to make sure she has no broken skin or wounds...If she is just limping I would put her in a wire cage somewhere dark with food and water for a fews days to keep an eye on her...that way she can't limp around too much and it should heal...you could or can put vitamins & electrolytes in her water to boost her energy...or gatorade mixed in her water or a drop or two polyvitamins for children in her water...my opinion and what I would do....antibotic ointment like neosporin is good for small wounds...

I checked her out really good I did not see any other injuries. No wounds etc... She will hold her leg up when she is standing still and limp only on her toes of the left foot when trying to walk.

It's up to you...if you just want to watch her closely for a few days or put her in a crate or wire cage to help her heal...another thing this may not even be related to the attack.... sometimes chickens get bumblefoot on the bottoms of their feet...check for that...its a core like wound, from jumping down off roosts..bacterial thing....I have no wisdom! on bumblefoot but lots of people on here and the other byc ezboard site do....you can see a wound or core if its bumblefoot....just a thought....

Last edited:
It never hurts to crate an animal that has injured itself. When i pulled my achilles tendon it hurt like heck to walk. Granted I have the ability to walk when i want and sit when it hurt but most free range animals are forced to do some running around. Its better to err on the safe side and give her a few days rest. Muscle and tendon injured can sometimes take longer than broken bones to heal.

Back
Top Bottom