1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured lonely chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pbjmaker, Jul 24, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    My baby chick that appears to have been injured by a falcon today is perkier (is that even a word?) but I still want him to be isolated. The problem is that he is lonely and keeps wearing himself out peeping the lonely peep. I figure I have a couple of choices:

Bring a friend inside and risk pecking or borrow a bird cage from the neighbor - put that in the coop to isolate him yet let him see his hatchmates.
    I don't relish either idea because it rained a lot of the day and although they others are fine at night, I don't want him to get chilled and I'm afraid if I bring another one in with him it might peck at his owies.

I lost one to the falcon (we think)- don't want to loose this little one also.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I am reading on other threads that a small stuffed animal, clock, or "inanimate" buddy might offer him some comfort....

3. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

..am glad your lil' guy is Perkier (got to be a work for chicks going thru this!!)
    [​IMG]

4. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    We just a similar situation this week. Found a brand new chick that momma stepped all over him. He was on his back, cold, eyes not open, unsteady on his feet. A goner if I'd left him with her. Brought him home, and he did that lonely boy peep. We took uncooked white rice, put in a baggie, and microwaved it until it was nice and warm. (~45 sec) Wrapped the bag in a wash cloth and set him on the warm towel/baggie in his box. Then covered him (loosely) with another towel. He quieted right down. Between the rice and the towels, he stayed warm. Had to heat up the rice every 2-3 hours. Posted a question about feeding him, and did the suggested ground up mash in yogurt+water. Worked like a champ. Within 24 hours he was ready to go back with mom. He's doing fine now. Hope this helps.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I might try that - this one is 3 weeks old and is used to being outside at night but with the rain we had today I feel like the air is too damp for him. I think I will try your suggestion with the "stuffy" and the rice. You distincly see three punctures on one side of his body and then a fourth on the other side that is more of a surface wound. He is sitting in a shoebox all fluffed up with his wings slightly out so they don't touch the owies. He did finally eat some mash I made for him earlier and I gave him some vitamins cuz I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by