Injured male peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by faizan, Aug 16, 2011.

1. faizan

faizan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Its about 10 days ago that i saw a kennel of dogs attacking a bird. It was a male peacock bieng eaten by dogs. When i came closer , dogs ran away . What i saw was a severly injured peacock who had been eaten from the middle portion of the neck till legs(which were not eaten). Injury was so deep that i could see the inner parts of the bird. I brought the bird in my home, since i did not knw abt any veterinary doctor or hospital. When he ate something it felt down from his injury area,otherwise he as ok. After consulting a few veterinary doctors in my town i found out that he will die soon. They had no time to do something to the wound as they felt that he will die in a day or two .A friend of mine is a surgeon(human surgeon) he watched the wound and everything, and did a surgery. He then covered the wound by stitching it. Now the peacock is normal and healthy. His waste is good too now. He gets an anti-bacterial injection everyday.
    Still we aren't sure whether he will live or not in the near future....
    Kindly help me out so that i can help the poor bird.

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    WOW, way to go!! I really am glad you kept up on the rescue. Keep it calm, and he should heal nicely. Do you have any cats/dogs, anything to upset him while he heals. This looks like you are going to be in it for the long haul.... Sounds like you are going to have a house peacock for a while!

3. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

So this bird has survived a dog attack for the last 10 days, after you had a human dr do surgery on it? & it is eating, drinking, and pooping? OMG, Bless your heart for doing what you did. It may survive, if it is doing all that. You ned to just watch for infection - it is on any antibiotics? If it has survived that long, please take good care of it.... If the critical time has passed and it is healing up, a buddy or friend may be needed. Social creatures need friends.
    Please stay positive, it may just recover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Wow... I don't know what to say except way to go! It sounds like you are doing everything just the right way so far! He's eating, drinking, passing waste, and you're caring for the wound (and sounds like you and your friend are doing a darn good job of it too), so you've got your bases covered. Please post pictures if you can, and let us know how it goes!

5. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    We have stitched some of our peafowl up before then put triple antibiotic on the wound healed up nice, when I was a First Responder for the Fire Department I found it to be easier treating birds then people.

6. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    That is wonderful.
    Looks bad on veterinary medicine in my opinion. But your average veterinarian has limited avian knowledge. But what about your surgeon friend? He probably has not handled to many surgeries on a peacock either. He is obviously following up with antibiotics which is needed.

Great job to you in saving his life!

7. faizan

faizan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Thank u all for replying. He's doing a good job till now. Injury was so deep and big that it looked almost impossible to stitch the wound... i might post some pictures too... is it ok to give medicine through syringe or should i go for some edible thing?
    And any particular food that i should give to him that can improve the recovery of wound ,as large amount of flesh in that area was eaten by the dogs.... If he survives 1 month more, then the chances of survival will be higher and i will get him a female partner.....This will not be the first time that i will be having a peafowl....I had a couple in the past.

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    What kind of meds are you giving him? And what is he really liking to eat?

9. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi faizan,
    I am very sorry the peacock had been attacked, I hope he stay alive and his wound heals. [​IMG]

Question: Is the middle of blue-feathered neck between head and breast, the eaten part ???

I hope dogs had not eaten the wing muscles as peacock need wing muscles for flying.

Dogs that attacked the peacock, need to be destroyed as they may be feral dogs that would attack people and animals.

Clinton.

Quote:

10. Bigcreekpeafowl

Bigcreekpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would give him high protein for healing. Mashed up hard boiled eggs are high in protein and easily digested. Most peafowl love watermelon, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries. Our peas love those fruits. I would give him small or cut up pieces.We have also given baby cereals to convalescent birds. Breads our peas love whole wheat or grain bread pieces. Black oil sunflower seeds.

Sure hope he recovers quickly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by