Injured Mallard Duck Leg!

howellca

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
My 3 month old mallard got his leg caught in his pen. He freaked out when it got caught innitially and I am afraid he injured it worse. He holds it up but can put pressure on it somewhat. Mainly when he flaps his wings. It looks a little discolored and I am worried about a serious fracture. He swims but doesn't really use it a whole bunch while swimming. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm very worried about the little guy. His name is Simon.

Poor Simon. Hopefully he just kind of twisted it. You can feel his bones for any signs of a break. Bruising would be normal. Access to swimming water is good I think, because it allows him to move it around without putting weight on it. Just make sure he can't strain the leg getting in and out of the water. Hopefully he is not around any birds who may chase him around, so that he can rest and heal.

Thanks for the response. He seems to be doing a lot better already. I think I just got a bit worried because it looked bad when it happened and it was the first injury I've dealt with. He seems like he'll be back to his old self in no time!

Back
Top Bottom