Sabbychick

Hatching
May 11, 2021
I have two broody hens that hatched chicks 4 weeks ago. They are usually separated however they were out together without me knowing for a couple hours. They got in a fight and one of the hens has one or both eyes poked and swollen, and a bloody gash on the back of her head. She’s just staying in one place and looks very lethargic and in pain. My question is, if she dies or has to be put down, will the 4 week old chicks survive without her? Will I need supplemental heat at night? It will be in the 60s at night and in the 80s during the day for the next two weeks.

Hi, There - Chicks will be fine - I would house them inside with a brooder box and use a heated lamp of some type. If you feel they are comfortable right now, they should be fine, but if your hurt chickens do worsen, it might be a good time to think about taking them inside.

Chickens are resiliant. Keep the injured in a separate area for now and hope for the best. My chicken had her eye poked by a stick running from the dog... she has had that eye shut for three weeks and just now is starting to open it. The first three days - she looked like she would die, not wanting to move, eat, etc. She must have been in SO much pain. Provided food, vitamins, and treats, but she is out with everyone else now and getting better!

Hang in there. Take the safe route.

Answering just about the chicks: no they shouldn't need heat at this point, your temperatures are extremely warm for chicks and at 4 weeks they should be feathered enough to have no issue to transitioning to life without a heat source.

Did the hen(s) ever get to introduce/integrate the chicks with the rest of the flock? That would be the bigger concern if that didn't happen yet.

Hi, There - Chicks will be fine - I would house them inside with a brooder box and use a heated lamp of some type. If you feel they are comfortable right now, they should be fine, but if your hurt chickens do worsen, it might be a good time to think about taking them inside.

Chickens are resiliant. Keep the injured in a separate area for now and hope for the best. My chicken had her eye poked by a stick running from the dog... she has had that eye shut for three weeks and just now is starting to open it. The first three days - she looked like she would die, not wanting to move, eat, etc. She must have been in SO much pain. Provided food, vitamins, and treats, but she is out with everyone else now and getting better!

Hang in there. Take the safe route.
Thank you!

Answering just about the chicks: no they shouldn't need heat at this point, your temperatures are extremely warm for chicks and at 4 weeks they should be feathered enough to have no issue to transitioning to life without a heat source.

Did the hen(s) ever get to introduce/integrate the chicks with the rest of the flock? That would be the bigger concern if that didn't happen yet.
My rooster and Plymouth Rock hen are extremely docile and don’t mess with the chicks. My only problem is the 3 American game fowl hens. They are aggressive towards each other but I haven’t seen them mess with the chicks. They have all free ranged together and the chicks have been fine

Back
Top Bottom