Injured Muscovy Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HomesteadingCox, Mar 15, 2017.

1. HomesteadingCox

HomesteadingCox Just Hatched

Mar 15, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Back story:

His mum was a terrible mother, she kicked him from the nest before he was fully out of the egg, the only reason I knew he was out was I thought "that is an odd poop for Buddy" (the horses stall they were using for the summer), and being worried about the horse, I touched this "poop" to inspect, only to find a very weak, near death duckling instead.
    That was 7.5 months ago.

Then at the age of 4 months he wound up in a feed bag the rabbits had chewed a hole in (the rabbits are my bain of existence, if they can wreak havoc, oh boy do they). He got the woven strands around his neck and was "strangling" himself.

Then again at the age of 6 months he found another way to "strangle" himself.

Now at 7 and a half months old, those darned rabbits did it again, this time with a wool blanket. This drake must have some fetish with self asphyxiation or something, I swear! He did it again, and this time he didnt bounce back.

Problem Now:

I found him as he was "strangling" himself, and immediately brought him in the house, got him warm, got him water, bedded down our medical cage for him, as I expected to have him in the house for atleast 4 days. It will be 2 weeks on Friday, not that I mind.

He drinks, boy does he drink, but he shakes his head and spits most of it out, the first few days I took the water away from him because I was worried about him drowning himself or getting it in his lungs (thats how much he had his face in the water). He started to self regulate his intake by the 5th day. I have put him in the bath tub and let him float around, which he perks up after, but he doesnt play in it, he drinks it and floats, I soaked him and he shakes it off a bit, but has no real interest in playing.

He wanders about my kitchen, theres nothing he can get into. He is very slow, unsure of his steps, and when he coughs or flaps his wings he falls back, and almost darned near over. The red on his face is dull now, I expect its lack of vitamins, but his feathers are still luxuriously beautiful and shiny.

He won't eat. I've tried mashes and mixes of honey and yogurt, a gruel type mash, his normal feed, the most expensive feed you can buy, greens and veggies, meal worms and crickets. He just will not eat, he has no interest in it. I brought his younger sister in since they are very bonded (similar situation with the hen, so they were hand raised until 3 months old), and she acts like shes trying to coax him into eating, drinking, and grooming, but he wants nothing to do with anything. She is still in here for company, I thought he might be depressed about being with his gang and then being in solitary.

His chest is swollen like an impacted crop would be, but its soft and squishy and not hard (expected that since he only drinks), His chest almost hits the ground when he stands, and he is very front heavy, and he is uncomfortable if you pick him up, I thought maybe twisted intestines. He poops, but its always water with clear or green particles (again, expected since he has no food in his system, figure the green is from him eating some wet hay strands)

I have thought about tubing him, but cannot find the resources to, and if its an obstruction or twist I dont want to put more pressure and make him more uncomfortable.

There are no vets in my area willing to look at him, he is "just a duck" "livestock and cheap to replace" to them. Xrays, Ultrasounds, etc. are out of the question unless I can get my equine vet out and corner her and beg and plead her to do it.

No one else in the coop is sick/off so it cant be viral, it has to be something to do with his fetish. He was with 2 other drakes, 6 duck hens, 5 chicken hens, 1 rooster and 2 rabbits, all of which are perfectly fine.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what to look for, what to do or if maybe it may just be better to let him go? I want to try and save him since I've brought him back from death once already, and he was the first duckling born on the farm, but if it means a lifetime of pain, I would rather him be let go.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Only thing would be to tube him he needs to get nourishment inside or he won't last long. If he is drinking put vitamins into his water. His throat area maybe very sore and possibly swollen inside so if at all possible corner your vet and see if she'll do an xray at least. that way you can actually see what is going on inside. I am going to senfd your post on the @casportpony she has good info on what to use from tubing if you can't find the right stuff.
    @HomesteadingCox

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. HomesteadingCox

Mar 15, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you,
    Im more worried about if theres a blockage in the throat that the tubing will either irritate it or whatever I tube him with will settle against it and cause even more pain. This morning before I let him and his sister out of their cage in the kitchen, I gave them the gruel type food again, watered down more and she ate some, he ate maybe 2 mouthfuls and then wouldnt touch it. They have ACV in their water, and now that the storm has passed I can get up town and grab water based vitamins for him too, I will call my equine vet as soon as her practice is open and see if I can coax her to come. We really need a specialized vet in the area, its ridiculous they wont otherwise touch him.

They are currently free-roaming my kitchen, sitting in the sunny spot after having a wing flapping/stretch war. House temp is sitting at 67 F, around 70F in the sunny spot.

Can you recommend any water based vitamin/mineral supplement brand? I have a TSC, and a Farm supply/Co-op up town, no specialty stores within a 3 hour radius.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poultry Nutri drench is a great product not only can you put it in their water but you can give it straight into their bill it goes right into the blood stream so it's fast acting. As for the tube feeding I think it would be best to ask your vet. If there is a blockage maybe tube feeding would help push what ever it is on through but that is something best left to the experienced to say.

Not many of us have access to avian vets especially those of us who are rural. We mainly have to be our own vet.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures and a video of him?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @HomesteadingCox

7. HomesteadingCox

Mar 15, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    I will be able to when my husband gets home, He is the only one with a cellphone/camera, we are moving away from technology slowly. I will have to figure out how to post it one here as well.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  9. HomesteadingCox

Mar 15, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Im sad to say, before my vet could even get here (supposed to be today @ 2pm) Pipper passed away. Thank you for your help.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @HomesteadingCox very sorry to hear about Pipper. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by