Injured Neck (Cut)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by MrNappy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Yesterday, I found my quails neck bleeding (not really, found coat with dried blood, other male did it, his coat had blood), don't know why i didn't post this yet, but his droppings told me i should. [​IMG]

So, he does super small black dropping, and his normal dropping are like white slush, (not mating foam, he's been away from a female for 24 hours), so with the white slush, sometimes there is black slush.

I keep em inside, in wood shavings, i clean em regularly. So what is it, how to get rid of it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, there is a cut also on his neck, my mom dropped like a Vaseline bottle on it or something, (i washed most off, cause there was way too much), yea and i isolated it, will it get better, how long will it take?)

Thank in advance.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. He will probably heal in about a week or so ;)

3. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Do you, have quail? (No offence)

What 'bout poop?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Droppings will change when a bird becomes stressed. And in this case, having an injury, the stress must have irritated his bowels. I would keep him under some heat for a day or two as birds with injuries can go into shock, and shock can kill them faster than the injury. (shock makes them cold). You can also use some neosporin, (without the pain killer) on the wound for a few days till it scabs over.

So...keep him separated, add some heat, use neosporin and he should be fine in a few days. When you do reintroduce him, if you have some blu-kote to spray on the wound, it will stop the other quail from picking at his wound and act as an antibacterial as well.

1 person likes this.

5. X2

And yes I do have quail! I've got 4 courtnix and I'm about to get a breeding pair of buttons! I'm just now starting on quail again. We used to have them a while back, good luck with your little guy :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by