Injured newly hatched Muscovy duckling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geranium, May 21, 2019.

1. Geranium

Geranium Songster

Aug 17, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    This is my first time hatching anything. I had a Muscovy duck egg under my broody pullet. She's nearly a year and was very attentive with the eggs, but this is her first hatch. The chick was starting to zip last night when I left for work. This morning I found a cold duckling half under the broody with a cut on her head. I brought her inside and plugged in my brooder plate. I washed her off a bit and have her warning under the plate. She's moving, eyes open, but not peeping, not raising her head. I dipped her beak into Sav-A-Chick electrolyte solution and i'm keeping her under the plate to warm and fluff. I put a little Veterycin on her injury - looks like she's been scalped a little. I'm willing to try hard to save her. Is there anything else I can be doing right now? I am thinking warming and fluffing are the immediate priorities. I don't have a brooder. Just a broody pullet and brooder plate. Thanks in advance. I'll put a picture of her injury in the comments.

Sequel, WVduckchick and casportpony like this.
  2. Geranium

Geranium Songster

Aug 17, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    Duckling

Attached Files:

WVduckchick and casportpony like this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    @Texas Kiki @WVduckchick @casportpony

I'd say you're on the right track, does look like your broody injured the duckling. Keep it warm & maybe some Nutri Drench or as you're doing the Save a Chick.

4. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If mine i would concentrate on getting it warm, then offer water and food.

5. Geranium

Geranium Songster

Aug 17, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    Thank you! I have the brooder plate low over the duckling and it's now starting to peep softly and move more. I appreciate the input.

6. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have any Neosporin? That's what I use when I find one that's been scalped like that.

How many more eggs are under the broody? Some broodies will do this or worse to everything that hatches, so keep a close eye on her.

Sequel, ChickNanny13 and WVduckchick like this.
  7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    x2. Some broodies are excellent... some, not so much. :(

Sequel and ChickNanny13 like this.
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    2x
    I wouldn't use her for breeding either, this trait may pass on to offsprings. Glad to hear the duckling's starting to show more activity. You may want to wet some feed & offer it along with water. :hugs

9. Geranium

Geranium Songster

Aug 17, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I do have neosporin. I dabbed it with Veterycin but I'll put some neosporin on. There were originally two eggs under the broody, but the other one should have hatched before this one, so it's a dud. So no more that will actually hatch.

The duckling is coming around. Moving around and peeping now.

Attached Files:

10. Geranium

Geranium Songster

Aug 17, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    We don't have any roosters, so she won't ever be bred. She just happened to go broody when I wanted to get a duck, so I figured I'd let her give it a shot. Test failed, Agatha!

Sequel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: