Injured newly hatched Muscovy duckling

Geranium

Songster
Aug 17, 2017
Southern Arizona
This is my first time hatching anything. I had a Muscovy duck egg under my broody pullet. She's nearly a year and was very attentive with the eggs, but this is her first hatch. The chick was starting to zip last night when I left for work. This morning I found a cold duckling half under the broody with a cut on her head. I brought her inside and plugged in my brooder plate. I washed her off a bit and have her warning under the plate. She's moving, eyes open, but not peeping, not raising her head. I dipped her beak into Sav-A-Chick electrolyte solution and i'm keeping her under the plate to warm and fluff. I put a little Veterycin on her injury - looks like she's been scalped a little. I'm willing to try hard to save her. Is there anything else I can be doing right now? I am thinking warming and fluffing are the immediate priorities. I don't have a brooder. Just a broody pullet and brooder plate. Thanks in advance. I'll put a picture of her injury in the comments.

Duckling

Attachments

• 20190521_102249.jpg
    20190521_102249.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 14
Do you have any Neosporin? That's what I use when I find one that's been scalped like that.

How many more eggs are under the broody? Some broodies will do this or worse to everything that hatches, so keep a close eye on her.

x2. Some broodies are excellent... some, not so much. :(

2x
I wouldn't use her for breeding either, this trait may pass on to offsprings. Glad to hear the duckling's starting to show more activity. You may want to wet some feed & offer it along with water. :hugs

Do you have any Neosporin? That's what I use when I find one that's been scalped like that.

How many more eggs are under the broody? Some broodies will do this or worse to everything that hatches, so keep a close eye on her.
I do have neosporin. I dabbed it with Veterycin but I'll put some neosporin on. There were originally two eggs under the broody, but the other one should have hatched before this one, so it's a dud. So no more that will actually hatch.

The duckling is coming around. Moving around and peeping now.

Attachments

• 20190521_115624.jpg
    20190521_115624.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 10
2x
I wouldn't use her for breeding either, this trait may pass on to offsprings. Glad to hear the duckling's starting to show more activity. You may want to wet some feed & offer it along with water. :hugs
We don't have any roosters, so she won't ever be bred. She just happened to go broody when I wanted to get a duck, so I figured I'd let her give it a shot. Test failed, Agatha!

Back
Top Bottom