1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured/non thriving chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by megwalker4, Apr 11, 2016.

1. megwalker4

megwalker4 New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Hey y'all! I'm Meg, new to chickens, my husband James is not - he's had them growing up on a farm... Got a free chick today 'cause they don't expect him to make it... They helped him out of the egg, and his feet are goofy... I'm now completely attached to this little guy-or girl... It drinks and eats from my hand while sitting in it only... Do I keep him away from the other chicks? Any special diet suggestions for rapid thriving? My hubs says let it go... I'm a believer, any suggestions?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Maybe the best place to get responses would be the "Raising baby chicks" forum. Alas, I'm from the same school of thought as your hubby.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think as long as he isn't suffering - give it a go. If you could get photos of his feet - someone may be able to tell you what to do. The younger the chick, the better the chance of straightening his feet. You can also put "Chick foot problems," in the search box and information should come up.

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you have a private box for him with feed and water & heat lamp? He may be cold so not doing well. Other chicks would probably walk all over him and wear him out. Baby chicks also have to be taught where food and water is. You can tap on the dishes to show him. And dip his beak a little into water, so he knows to drink that.

1 person likes this.
  6. megwalker4

megwalker4 New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks for all the advice... Poor little guy just passed. [​IMG] I knew he had not a slim chance, I'm just a super hopeful person. On to the next lost cause...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by