injured or ill Rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bamazfam05, Oct 28, 2008.

1. bamazfam05

bamazfam05 New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Hi, I am new at raising birds so please forgive me if I sound niave. I have a problem with one of my birds I think he was injured but not real sure. I had a new puppy come home with me a couple of weeks ago and she ran after all of my birds one bird the rooster slid on the concrete but seemed okay at the time. A few days later I noticed he started limping and now he has quit walking altogether. I've checked him and can't find anything wrong. My daughter can get him up and moving a bit and his appetite is good. I also noticed around the same time that two of the roosters appear to have foul pox? black spots on their comb. They seem okay and I read that is from mosquitoes which we had plenty of this year. To my knowledge there is no cure and I guess it just runs it's course? Do you think that his problem is that he is ill or injured and what should I do? I thought of the vet but I haven't found one that takes livestock around here yet. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Bamazfam05

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

take the roo,, and "play" with his legs,, all the way up to his hip, squeeze, straighten it out, bend it, if its sore, he should give you a indication that it hurts him.
    the spots on his comb 90% of the time is either where they have been pecking at each other,,,, more like scabs from rough housing, or running into wire, or feeders ,, like scratch's ,, do they look like dried blood spots,, or just spots?

3. bamazfam05

bamazfam05 New Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for answering. I will try moving his legs about as you suggest. He's my daughters favorite so I have to try and save him. His spots look like the picture on the page in backyard chicken where you see diseases. it shows a picture of avian pox. This is what I think it looks like. but other than that one they all act healthy and just started laying about a month ago we're getting about dzn a day. I think that's pretty good although I've never done this before. We have 14 birds 2 I know are Roosters and 2 I'm still not sure about. The rest are layers. We have bantams that lay brown and some that lay blue eggs. thanks for your help. If it is avian pox there isn't anything I can do right? Do they usually survive it?

thanks
    mendi

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

imma sorry,, i have NO experience with the pox,, havent even read up on it, but i imagine later when this place fills up,, you'll get plenty of info from others that know ALOT more then me [​IMG]
    good luck.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The stress for being tormented by the puppy could have weakened his immune system too. Describe the position of his legs. Is he able to move them at all? Does one or both legs appear paralysed (I ask because Marek's is a paralysis). Is he eating?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by