Injured or ill?

Stipenvlerk

Crowing
May 22, 2020
The Netherlands
Hi chicken lovers,

close to were I live there is a group of ”wild” chickens. All kinds they just live out in the open for years now.
when I travel to the farm for fresh diary I always stop to look at them for a moment. Today something was not right. One of the chickens had a bare tummy, bare front of the nek and stands in a weird position. Because of the missing feathers I can’t rule out a predator.
‘Other weird thing was, I could approach it very close, could have picked it up if I wanted. Normally they keep a fare distance.

Took some pictures too.
should I go back and take it to my home or to a vet? Or just let nature run it’s course?
It’s not my chicken and I don’t know if anyone ownes them

0A3C455E-4034-45BB-9EEC-03BD45915128.jpeg
BCB396A8-72A5-4CF5-B43D-ECDE3515F470.jpeg
032E85BF-58B1-4972-A4CC-EC8907C180A0.jpeg
8D98B4A2-DC6D-4ECC-A01D-D5C0003B6BD2.jpeg

Update: she is way better today. she started to eat again and also her sound are getting louder and her posture is better
bad thing is, there has not been a single egg.
There are how ever small yellow things which look like lash eggs to me. Or puss ( a consultant told me that that is what they are)

we have not many avian vets in the vicinity and therefore they are quite expensive and veeeeery busy. I called and they are quite sure she needs antibiotics but there is no time in the upcoming days for a consult.
If It Is lash eggs indeed and she needs antibiotics ,it’s not possible to get antibiotics without a proper consult.
the lady on the phone told me she will very likely die if she doesn’t get antibiotics and optional an implant of some sort

who has tips or over the counter antibiotics to help my rescue chicken?
poop looks normal, she eats like she’s eating for 3 and het activity level is quite well.

@sourland may I ask if you have a suggestion?

Since you are seeing lash material then it's salpingitis. Based on how she looks in the pictures it looks like it's probably advanced. Her stance looks like she feels she needs to lay an egg, but likely cannot due to the infection. This type of infection is often not responsive to treatment. If you want to try then enrofloxacin (Baytril) is usually the med of choice. For injectable you need to get from a vet, for oral you can get from pigeon suppliers, in the US.
https://www.jedds.com/shop/enro/
Since you are in the Netherlands I don't know what you have access to.
If she were mine, based on what I can see, my choice would be to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as that's feasible, and then I would euthanize when she no longer wants to eat or drink, or is obviously miserable. I've tried treating this several times, and have not been successful. I may have bought them some time (hard to say really) but ultimately they succumbed. :hugs

Since you are seeing lash material then it's salpingitis. Based on how she looks in the pictures it looks like it's probably advanced. Her stance looks like she feels she needs to lay an egg, but likely cannot due to the infection. This type of infection is often not responsive to treatment. If you want to try then enrofloxacin (Baytril) is usually the med of choice. For injectable you need to get from a vet, for oral you can get from pigeon suppliers, in the US.
If she were mine, based on what I can see, my choice would be to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as that's feasible, and then I would euthanize when she no longer wants to eat or drink, or is obviously miserable. I've tried treating this several times, and have not been successful. I may have bought them some time (hard to say really) but ultimately they succumbed. :hugs

Thank you Coach723,

I only have her since monday and luckily she is not standing upright anymore. I will probably do what you say and keep her comfortable as long as possible.
she seems way better than monday, probably since she doesn’t need to look for food but get’s it on a plate from me. I’ll keep in mind that when she starts to be really miserably again, I euthanise her. The lady said to me on monday, if there was no egg by Tuesday I should euthanise her. But since she’s doing better I’d rather give her a chance. Thank you for your advise!
Let’s find out if I can find some Baytril in the mean time.

thank you for your time!

Update:

I've ended up taking this chicken to the vet of a friend who was willing to take a look at this chicken and it was indeed salpingitis. She has had 2 round of antibiotics and felt fine as far as we could tell afterwards. her tummy was not swollen anymore, no fever anymore (the vet noticed she had a fever too) And she was a very vibrant energetic chicken. Feathers grew back and she gained some weight (Became 2.5Kg)

After 1-1.5 months there was another episode of egg bound symptoms. we could see the egg but it had a hard time coming out. Now she will die we thought. But she was up and running the next morning. (didn't see an egg in the shed but she seemed fine again).

Two weeks ago she got lice, the big ones, for which she received treatment as well.
Just before Christmas I found that she became lethargic again. Almost not drinking. She did eat well though. And this morning when I opened the coop she just felt out. Probably was leaning against the door.

So I thought, let's get a cardboard box and put her in there so she has a dry place and think about if I need to euthanise her or let her die peacefully. While walking back with the box, she was up and walking, looked alert but lethargic and I decided not to put her in the box but give her some pain medication I still had from the egg bound episodes. (same dose)

1 hr later I find her on her tummy, legs streched to the back, eyes closed and barely breathing. So within the next few hours she will pass away I think.

You were right in the end. She didn't pass the 6 mnds (it's 3 months today actually)
I got kinda attached to her, but it is for the best...

Back
Top Bottom