Injured or sick 4 day baby chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sjblizzard, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Sjblizzard

Sjblizzard Hatching

Mar 28, 2018
    Hello
    I have a baby 4 day old chicken. Was fine last night
    He was letting every one run over him this morning couldn't stand and was dying.

I don't know if he got too cold or injured or what so i sepperated him with the two smallest guineas. been giving him electrolytes every hour. standing now extremely wobbly and still hasn't eaten. Dosent peep when I pick him up. Possible swollen abdomen. Rear end feels firm. His fist poop this morning was completely clear with a little white now has changed. Any one see this before

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is your chick doing?
    Has the navel healed up -any discharge/inflammation coming from there?

I'm sorry your chick is not well. To be honest that poop does not look good. First thought was Coccidiosis, but then I saw the chick was only 4days old. Not impossible, but this is usually seen in chicks 2wks and older.
    I would have to guess your chick has some type of infection or possibly internal injuries if she was being trampled on.
    Try to keep her hydrated and warm. Sometime chicks fail to thrive for various reasons. I wish I had better answers for you - I'm very sorry.

3. Sjblizzard

Sjblizzard Hatching

Mar 28, 2018
    Standing and eating on his own today put some sulfa drug in his electrolytes today and yesterday.

Swelling is down on his abdomen also. Hanging out with the smaller chicks and his crop was full

Attached Files:

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    He's making progress:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: