Injured or sick rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OthalaAcres, Feb 9, 2009.

1. OthalaAcres

OthalaAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Troy, NH
    When I went out to feed the birds this a.m., I saw just 2 Dominique roos in the bachelor pen (when there should be 3) and figured one of them who always hops out was out again. But he wasn't anywhere around so I looked into their house to check and he as lying inside the doorway... thought I he was dead. I picked him up and he opened his eyes, but couldn't move. His head is twisted around over his back and he won't use his legs... although he has feeling in them and can move them slightly and even can put weight on them if I support him. His head just stays twisted over his back or hangs down limp.

I'm thinking either he had a reaction to the Ivomec (injectible cattle wormer... gave each bird 3-6 drops on a piece of bread depending on size yesterday - everyone else is fine, including the greedy goose who double dosed himself when he stole a second piece right out of my hand when I wasn't looking), or he injured his head or neck trying to attempt another escape. I brought him inside and put him in a box so I can give him water and watch him. He was perfectly fine and healthy the night before, so it's definitely not Mareks or anything like that.

He's inside in a box resting right now, and I've been giving him water with electrolytes with a dropper and some pieces of soaked bread (which I have to put in his mouth for him to swallow).

Anyone have any ideas of what it may be and treatments? Thanks.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Maybe just keep an eye on him till morning.. a good nights rest and he may improve... He could have gotten hurt or it could be the start of a disease.
    Never had a reaction to ivermec with my birds..

Sounds like you are doing all that you can to make him comfortable tonight...
    good luck and do keep us posted..

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could do more than just bump your thread up but I only know that those symptoms (I picked him up and he opened his eyes, but couldn't move. His head is twisted around over his back and he won't use his legs... although he has feeling in them and can move them slightly and even can put weight on them if I support him. His head just stays twisted over his back or hangs down limp) sound so familiar. I know I have read threads discussing them before. I hope he is better in the morning and you get some advice from those who know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by