Injured pearl white leghorn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Squarebalefarm, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Squarebalefarm

Squarebalefarm New Egg

Oct 3, 2015
    A couple days ago, I was working on our coop and the ramp door fell on one of the hens. Long story short, the hen got p and walked after i lifted the door, but her "in production" egg had popped out. The next day I noticed her vent had prolapsed. I cleaned her up and applied some vaseline to the protrusion and then manually inserted it. It did come back out once, shortly after that, but I t it back in again and it has stayed. She is lame and lethargic. I brought her inside in a cat carrier with some straw bedding and kept her in her for now (separating her from the flock as described in another place online). The temperature has been below 20 here. Today, since she wouldn't eat regular chicken feed, I cracked open an egg and fed shell and all to her. She did eat some of that. I also gave her some honey flavored water. I have noticed though that the area around her vent is leaking some kind of fluid. I am trying to keep from having to cull her. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC.

I'm sorry there was a delay in answering your post.

How is your hen doing?

Is she still lethargic and having a discharge from the vent?

You can try soaking her in a warm epsom salts bath. Keep her warm, give her some extra calcium and make sure she is drinking well.

Let us know how she's doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by