Injured Pekin Duck Bill

akeller

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I have had these Jumbo Pekin ducks for about a year now and everything has been going great... until last week.

my Backyard Ducks are in a pen i built out of dog fence panels 18ft X 18ft wrapped in a mesh windscreen on the inside all the way around except for the gate.. with a hot tub in the ground and a filtration system to help keep the water clean. my Pekins are very spoiled and was told that they are Fat & Happy ducks.. they are always in their pen. we do not let the dogs and ducks out at the same time ... EVER!

however just last week i was sitting on my back porch listening to the running water of the filtration system ( sounds like a fast moving creek)
and i had a "Day Dream" that was very... disturbing.
"" that my dog would one day, some how get ahold of one of my ducks through the fence. by the gate ""

I kid you not. 5min later.
my Fear became a reality.

somehow my dog managed to get ahold of the bill of my only Male duck and really messed up his bill.

the top mandible has been ripped off just under the nasal cavities. only half of the top mandible is still there.
the bottom mandible has been split in half long ways.. :hit:hit

my feathered friend is really banged up.

so my wife and i took him to my aunts homestead where they have a process for injured animals.
they said that they would keep and eye on him to see if he could drink water and eat.

if he couldn't do any of that then they would have no choice but to put him down:hit
as much as i would have hated it, I would have understood that it would have been for the best.

1 week later and i hear from my aunt that he is in fact able to Eat & Drink.:wee so my wife and i went and picked him up to bring him back home.

Now he can not eat the Pellets we were feeding them he can only eat the crumble food now witch is totally fine at least he is still able to eat.
when we brought him home the first thing he did was jump into the pool to take a nice bath. poor guy has been through a lot this past week it was a well deserved bath. :D

while the Male duck was with my aunt i took some time to fortify the gate area.
i put chicken wire on both sides of the gate and any open spot there was. i had also back filled all the dirt the ducks have been taking from that area so there is no gap now.

needless to say my (2)female pekins accepted the male back home.

these images can be a bit disturbing and graphic. not near as bad as ones i had seen before but still take warning.

if anyone has any advise on how to care for him or things I can feed him that he will be able to handle , I'm open to all suggestions.

Attachments

• 20210611_175254.jpg
    20210611_175254.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210611_175304.jpg
    20210611_175304.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210611_182432.jpg
    20210611_182432.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 36
Aw, poor guy! That daydream part was kind of creepy, not gonna lie. I'm so happy that he is doing well and is able to eat. I would feed him a wet mash of water mixed with the crumbles, maybe some peas and other veggies added, chopped up as a supplementary meal to make sure he is getting enough food. Be sure to provide plenty of water so he can eat more easily.

Oh, the poor guy. I'm so sorry this happened.
If you're looking to truly predator-proof the gate, chicken wire wouldn't be the way to go. It's not strong enough to withstand a predator that is determined for duck dinner. Hardware cloth would be a better choice.
I don't have any advice for you about his bill, but we do have an emergencies / injury section on here where you could post it.

Aw, poor guy! That daydream part was kind of creepy, not gonna lie. I'm so happy that he is doing well and is able to eat. I would feed him a wet mash of water mixed with the crumbles, maybe some peas and other veggies added, chopped up as a supplementary meal to make sure he is getting enough food. Be sure to provide plenty of water so he can eat more easily.
the pen that they are in has a 250Gal hot tub / pool and the tank that has the lava rock holds another 150 - 200 gallons of water.. plus i put down a bucket of fresh water a few times aa day. so they have plenty of water. thank you for the suggestion on the veggies and peas i have not tried to give them any of that.

Oh, the poor guy. I'm so sorry this happened.
If you're looking to truly predator-proof the gate, chicken wire wouldn't be the way to go. It's not strong enough to withstand a predator that is determined for duck dinner. Hardware cloth would be a better choice.
I don't have any advice for you about his bill, but we do have an emergencies / injury section on here where you could post it.
thankfully my back yard is fully fenced in and we live just on the outside of town so we don't have many predators around that could get into my backyard and get to the duck pen. if the layers of chicken wire doesn't keep my dog away from the gate then i will be finding a way to cover the gate with some kind of screen to keep the dogs and ducks separated

He needs deep bowls for scooping and drinking. Bless his heart It's so amazing what they can over come.
I agree about chicken wire it won't keep anything out only keeps poultry in.
Hardware cloth is the best stuff made. 1/4" to 1/2"
i have a small 20in feeding trough that i put their food into to keep it off the ground. with a bucket of fresh water right next to it. this poor guy has the will to live!!

They are so amazing. Sounds like he is in good hands.
Just make sure he is able to get the feed out, watch his weight either by weighing him every other day or just by picking him up. You can judge by feel that he is in good body weight. Not by looking at him with all those feathers.

So here is a little update on Bill the Duck..

we have had him back for a week now and im not 100% sure that he is eating.

I have been talking with some friends of mine and i have been looking into 3D Printing a new part to his upper and possibly lower mandibles. more updates to come on that

Back
Top Bottom