1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured possibly broken leg (cant post pics :()

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmesomechicks, Apr 28, 2011.

1. luvmesomechicks

luvmesomechicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    one of my hens is limping, she had the limp since yesterday. I picked her up and was able to take a few pictures but cant post pics yet. It bends out sideways and just seems to hang there, while i was touching it she didnt squirm or anything and was really cooperative when i picked her up. She was in a smaller cage with a one of my roosters (all 3 seem to be really aggressive as of late and not sure if what they are doing is natural since i dont have much experience with them) any help would be really appreciated.

This is bending out sideways
    [​IMG]

sits and eats
    [​IMG]

keeping it curled when it does move
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Poor girl. Definitely looks like it's injured. I have no experience with that kind of thing but my instinct is to splint it and keep her isolated so she can rest and heal.
    I'm sure someone will come along with first-hand experience to guide you.
    Have you done a search on "broken leg" or similar terms? I'll bet there's plenty out there.

Good luck. Keep us posted!

3. luvmesomechicks

Apr 26, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    yes i isolated her, not sure how to splint it [​IMG] maybe i can wait till the meetup saturday so someone can show me

4. pen

pen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I had a chicken that had the exact same issue. Started out limping but each day it got progressively worse until the rooster couldn't walk at all. I wonder if sometimes they might fall off the perch in the middle of the night?? Our coop is pitch black at night. I'm sad too say that we chose to put the chicken out of his misery. Hope you have better luck.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. luvmesomechicks

Apr 26, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks for responses. I wont know how she is doing until I get home from work. The way the setup I have the perch only sits up a few feet above the ground. Im thinking its from the rooster chasing her around since she was in the cage with only him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by