injured pullet and really sick rooster!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by agnes_day, Nov 24, 2008.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    well, just a while ago, i found one of my younger chickens by the back fence just laying there..it looks like she was attacked by this stray cat that we thought had moved on..she has a patch of skin missing on her back, and a bite on her neck. they dont seem all that bad but she is flopped over, cant stand at all, but is still breathing.she is also drinking water, and this supplement stuff we grabbed at the feed store. she will only open her eyes for a short amount of time though, and she is holding her neck at a strange angle..is there any hope for her at all? i cleaned the wounds with peroxide and i have her wrapped up in a box next to me..im just wondering if i should put her out of her misery or wait it out.
    also..(right after i discovered this) my son brings me my rooster and hes coughing his head off and his comb is turning black! the feed store also told us to give him this antibiotic in his water, and it seems to be helping but i still wonder about the black comb..its not the pox..and its not been that cold so i dont know what it could be.
    when it rains, it pours i guess! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm sure her neck really hurts. Did you check to see what kind of wounds are on the neck, like how deep or could she have a broken neck?
    First off, I would assume she's in shock and you might want to move her to a nice warm dark area, food water, electrolytes and vitamins. Maybe some oatmeal and yogurt treat.

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Yes it has been cold enough for frostbite, 15 in some parts of the state the other night. Frostbite can occur in temps above freezing if the humidity is up a little. Due to the larger comb roosters are more prone to get it.
    as for the hen Seminolewind has got you covered and that is what I do for an injured bird.

4. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    he was fine yesterday, and it was in the upper 40s last night.. but maybe it was from a few nights ago and i just didnt notice..at any rate, since having the antibiotic water, he has stopped coughing and still seems sick..hes just hanging out in a box looking at everyone but he is still drinking at least.
    the other one, i think is going to die..ive done everything listed, but its not making too much difference..the neck and back wounds arent very bad at all..my husband thinks she was drug around or something.
    poor birds! they have all been so healthy and happy all this time!

5. nnbreeder

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Don't give up on her yet let her have a little time to heal.
    And yes frostbite takes a day or two to show up, most of my roosters have short points on their combs.

6. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    thanks for the advice!
    i think my poor girl is on her way out for sure now..shes just gasping for breath. [​IMG]
    at least the rooster seems to be better. we put a heating lamp in their house tonight, so that should help.

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    put antibiotic cream on injuries but not the kind that says antibiotic and pain ! The part that deadens pain is not good for the chickens according to my vet.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm sorry for your troubles... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. agnes_day

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    thank you so much everyone!
    well, i was holding blackie just now, and he feels like he has a really big fluid filled something or other on his chest..and his bottom feathers are filthy and it looks like hes had diarrhea or something..should i still give him the antibiotic water? he drank a bunch of it and he seems somewhat better but the 2 things i just noticed really worry me.

10. nnbreeder

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If the thing on his chest is on the right side it's the crop, or where food is stored till it goes to the gizzard to be ground up and used. Check again early morning and the lump should be gone or nearly so.
    I would give him the meds in the water for 7-10 days making it his only source of water for that time. Don't give any yogurt while he is being treated but a day or two after treatment stops then give him yogurt or pro-biotics to get the good bacteria in the gut working again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by