Injured Pullet-do I need to cull her? I hope not

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animal nut, May 15, 2009.

1. animal nut

animal nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    My DH threw a piece of wood at my 8 month old pullet to stop her from entering a building. The wood hit her leg. She is now not walking on it. It is swollen and looks bruised. I do not think it is broken. She is eating and drinking but not moving around much. What can I do to help her? I do not want to cull her.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

it may just be very sore, give her some time.

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Throw a log at DH and see how he likes it.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Smack husband with wooden block to keep him out of coop. then see what he does and duplicate it with the chicken.

5. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Tell DH that he needs to build another pen so you will have some place to put the 50 new girls he is going to get you for being an idiot. Then with the pullet, keep her as quiet as possible perferably seperated from the others and give her a chance to heal. If nothing feels broken it might just take a few days to get her back on her feet.

6. animal nut

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    Thank you, I really apprecicate your humor! Beleive me I would like to take a 2x4 to his head. I will give her more time.

7. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    ThePamperedPullet wrote: Tell DH that he needs to build another pen so you will have some place to put the 50 new girls he is going to get you for being an idiot.
    Mrs.Puff wrote: Throw a log at DH and see how he likes it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I absolutely agree with them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Yeah, I'd reduce her space - cage rest. You could put a gel cold pack on the owie for a few minutes a few times a day, just like you would if it was DH's leg. Cold reduces swelling and bruising.

9. animal nut

Sep 11, 2008
    S. E Ohio
    I am so glad I have this site to go to for help. You all are wonderful and really ease my mind. I will use the tools you are providing me with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by