Injured Pullet -graphic pics-

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Corey NC, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    This young Barred Rock pullet has been pecked upon and has a really bloodied up head. It looks only skin deep but I'm worried about infection as there is no way to wrap it. She is seperated from the flock and I am going to put bactine on it with antibiotic ointment. Is there anything I can do for her. She is acting normal but I am certain she must be in pain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Wow they really got her good and I definately would separate her from the flock till she is well...I have seen them get the combs but they really got her in the back of her head. I would either keep her apart from the others till she is fine or find her a new home as there is something either she did to make them go after her. Chickens can get crazy and if 1 picks the others will follow suit until the bird either dies or we rescue it. I have a hen that just cant stand another hen so they are separate for life. Good luck with her

3. Aun <HIS><

Aun <HIS>< Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    She definitely needs to stay separated from the flock until she heals completely, which will probably take 3 weeks to a month. This will totally heal up. Use 2:1 hydrogen peroxide and water. H2O2 by itself has recently been determined to be too harsh on injured tissue. Swab it with that, pat it dry. What I've used with VERY good results is Bag Balm. Put a good amount on the wound, thick enough so that it completely covers it, then apply a gauze pad and gauze roll around the whole head, and secure with tape. I've had a pullet have this exact same injury, same cause, same place, and keeping the dressing from slipping down was tricky. I used a strip of sticky ace bandage around the whole thing, and that worked. New studies are showing that moist dressings heal faster with less infection than dry ones, and leaving it alone to heal is also recommended. I would change the bandage, following the same steps just once a day. Hope it goes well!

Aundrea

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by