1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured pullet, help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Auroradream26, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    So, I have a guest in the house tonight in the hospital. One of my young silkies (about 10 weeks old) has become the object of desire of my son's RIR cockerel. Today, he must've gotten her good. We saw her in the coop just laying there and thought she was dead. But then, when I picked her up, she breathed. She has a gash on the back of her neck through every layer of skin. It's good sized too. I cleaned it up, put neosporin on it and made homemade stitches. It took 3 to close it. I've been giving her water with vitamins in it through an eyedropper which she does swallow. She doesn't move and keeps her eyes closed. The only sign that she's alive is her mouth moving slightly when she breathes. She has a good strong heartbeat though. Is there anything else I can do for her? She did squirm a bit when I was cleaning out her cut but hasn't moved much since. I think she in a lot of pain. She's definitely sleeping now though. Any advice?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She may be in shock. Get her in a warm, quiet place. You may want to give her a heat lamp. For pain, take five 5 grain aspirin and dissolve it in a gallon of water and offer this to her free choice.

3. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Thank you for the advice. I made her a little capsule out of dollar store baskets that I use to hatch in since they were right beside my brooder and put her in at the far end of my brooder to keep her warm for the night. I know that's not the most quiet spot but I wanted to make sure she stayed warm. I have a small crate that will be perfect for her to use but I might wait until she snaps out of shock and feels like she's keeping herself warm. Right now, I can't imagine her eating or drinking anything on her own :/

4. Auroradream26

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Sure must've had some internal injuries. She passed away in my arms this morning :( thank you for your advice though, I will save that info for future reference.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  5. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you lost her :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by