Injured pullet now has abscess. How to treat? See p.2.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhen689, Jul 12, 2011.

1. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I have a 5 to 6 week old ameraucauna, who managed to get out of her pen today when I wasn't home. The skin from the back of her head, all the way to the base of her neck is gone. (Maybe 1 inch X 2 inches) It's hard to tell the size depending on how she oholds her neck.
    I did clean it out and put neosporin on it, she is drinking electrolyte/vitamin solution.
    I'm thinking that the very protective broody hen I have may have done this, (she doesn't like my two young pullets) and I know she broke my skin on my hand when I was checking for eggs underneath her a few weeks ago.

So should I stich it up, or just leave it open? The skin will not actually stretch enough to cover the wound, but it will make the wound appear smaller, and possible heal more quickly.

Maybe I should attempt to take a photo.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. redhen689

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Here is the photo:

[​IMG]

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Ouch! Poor girl, I'm sorry this happened to her. That is one fierce broody!

Personally, I'm not sure I would try to stretch the skin to cover the wound. I think I would keep covering it with Neosporin as you are and wait for it to scab over.

Regardless, I hope she heals quickly. [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In hospitals, they never stitch up a "dirty wound." Keep it clean and moist with the neosporin, and watch for signs of infection (pus or foul smell) over next couple of days. Keep her isolated from others in a cage, make sure she is eating, drinking, and it should start to shrink in size gradually. Good luck, I hope she makes it.

5. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:x2

6. redhen689

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    I think she'll make it.
    I have her inside and brought in her pen mate, who was also traumatized.
    I have them both in a plastic bin lined with newspaper topped with a little shredded paper.

I decided to dress the wound to keep her pen mate from pecking at the wound.
    She looks a little uncomfortable with the dressing, so I might try to re-do it a little differently
    She has been drinking which is good.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

do not try to stitch that.. if you do it will become infected.. leave it open so it can drain and keep it clean.. keep using something like neosporin on it

8. redhen689

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Thanks, I will not stitch it.

I just cooked up an egg to feed them, but am waiting for it to cool.

I am trying to put a dressing over the wound, but am having some difficulty since chicken necks are so flexible, and, I don't want it to be too tight, or cover her eyes, or restrict the movement of her beak.

I just want to protect it from her best friend who is very gentle with her, but finds the wound is just a little to tempting at times.

9. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Don't stitch it. It has to heal from the inside. Keep it clean. Giving her some extra protein to help her heal. i don't know whether vitamins will help a chicken heal like they do a person. Maybe someone on this thread knows.

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Don't stitch! It will heal on its own in a month or two. You just need to apply antibiotic ointment daily until it closes up. Increase her protein by adding meat, eggs, yogurt, etc... to her food. Make sure she is staying hydrated. I usually give straight Gatoraid the first day or two after a serious injury to keep the bird from going into shock and mix a bit with their water until the bird has regained strength and appetite. I've has two birds with similar injuries (one was much worse) recover just fine with the treatment I described. You may need to isolate her from the others for a few weeks to prevent pecking though.

ETA: That wound is going to start looking nasty in a couple of days, this is normal. You should be concerned if it starts to stink, if it does you need to consider oral or injected antibiotics.

Here s the link to my injured bird thread. I hope it helps. [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501351

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by