INJURED PULLET, RIGHT EARLOBE PECKED, ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick_a_dee, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    One of my pullets was pecked, I assume in a pecking order scuffle a few minutes ago, one of her earlobes is a bit bloody and appears to be hanging off slightly. Otherwise she appears fine, walking around, clucking, etc. I've seperated her for the time being, she's in a small run and is pecking at corn and grain, so she's still eating. We cleaned it up, and put some peroxide on it (not sure if that's okay, but at the moment, making sure it had no nasties in it was high priority). Is there anything else I can do? Should I put her back with the others tonight with some blue powder (the stuff you use for horses) on her earlobe? HELP Can I superglue it to promote healing like they do with male cats who get fixed? (I think it's super glue at least, it's A glue).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Anyone? This is kind of urgent [​IMG]

3. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    ......Bumping, I need to go and get whatever I need for her ear, so I need some advice!

4. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    I used neosporin (triple antibiotic ointment) after one of my hens got attacked by a hawk [​IMG]

edited to add..I also gave her "terra vet" oxytetracycline powder in her water for a few days after that..
    The guy at the feed store kinda rolled his eyes at my roomate when he bought it for me..he said it wouldnt do any good..
    But she is just fine these days [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  5. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:Thankyou! ... I'm hoping I can put her back in with the others tonight, she doesn't seem to be in much pain, but shakes her head as obviously she can feel it dangling. She's eating and drinking, and is active, and I know which pullet pecked her.

6. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    The others may peck at the red/blood..Any way you can keep her secluded a day or two?

7. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I would put her back just before dark when they go in to roost. That way they'll be too zombie-like to bother her. Just be sure to be out there when they wake up tomorrow morning to see how they behave. I've heard that pine tar (used to treat horses hooves) works well to deter pecking if it seems like it's going to be a problem.

8. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:I may be able to set up a dog crate in the house for a few nights, I was thinking of putting some wonderdust on it, the stuff you use on horses to stop bleeding and seal the wound. Any thoughts?

9. Chick_a_dee

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Quote:How about wonderdust? I'll ask at my co-op anyway but it is meant to seal and stop bleeding in cuts for horses.

10. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Yes, Wonderdust is a good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by