injured pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rebel yell, Aug 15, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    went out this morning to feed & found one of my bb red pullets injured, at the base of her tail looks like the others have been feather picking on her & she is bleeding & no fethers left there at all, so i put her in a cage by her self with anti. in her water & also put a&d ointment on it, i think im headed in the right dirction, but what caused them to do this they have all been together since they were hatched, all the sudden this happened over nite, any sugistions.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:She could've had something on her that looked like food or an insect and one of them pecked at it, drew blood and then the sight of blood would've caused more pecking. Vicious cycle kind of thing.

How old are they? How many chickens are there? What size space are they living in?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  3. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    there are only 3, about 4 months old, in a 4x4 above ground pen.

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Well overcrowding certainly is no reason for the bad behavior. How's the injured girl today?

5. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    shes ok, got her on duramicein & vitatmins & electrolites & antibot. cream on her, shes eating & drinking just fine.

6. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by