Injured pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I went out to the run today to feed the girls. Everything was fine. A couple hours later I went to give them a treat and one of my rir pullets had gotten her foot stuck in some chicken wire. I got the foot out but she couldn't stand. Took her to the vet and it seems she either has a dislocated hip or severed nerves as her foot isn't working right either.

The Vet thought she might be in shock as she was being very docile but that's just her nature I think. So, I left her there and they are going to try to relocate the hip, xrays show the leg is not broken. If there is nerve damage and the foot won't work they will try to devise a splint so she can still walk.

They had never treated a chicken before and recommended I euthanize her but I just couldn't. I am thinking the others will pick on her if she's injured. Does that sound correct?

Has anyone ever just kept a little disabled one in the house as a house pet?

Wow........I can't believe how sad I am over a chicken. Am I over the edge?

Thanks in advance for any replies........will keep you all updated.

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    My pullet did the exact same thing...she still hasn't got better she's been like that for prob a month. My parents don't let me take chickens to the vet. She still gets around fine though, I was surprised because she still runs fast.

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Finally got back home after two vet visits........she has nothing broken but cannot stand on her two feet. She is seriously bruised and the second vet said she could be OK in a couple of days. Says bruising in chicks is serious enough to cause this.

Anyway, she is in the house now in a box with straw......drinking fluids and eating. I hope she can recover!

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

We have ALL done this for our babies...
    Good luck with her recovery.

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Thanks...........hope it's a fast one!!! She's in her box sleeping like a baby right now.

6. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:Mine can't walk. Her wings appear to be OK but she can't stand. Xrays show no breaks anywhere. The swelling is down and she is eating and drinking alot.

Do you have an idea how long it could take or if she'll ever recover?

I have her propped on a pillow in the house with her front legs out front so she can support herself, but every once in awhile she tries to get up and falls to the side. Right now she bears constant watching.

I was getting cabin fever today so I put her in an old purse and took her out by the rest of the girls for awhile, and over to the neighbor's house. I'm still grounded myself though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by