Injured pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sigmachigirl, Aug 12, 2013.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Hi there, one of our poor girls was injured tonight by our dog when she and another hen escaped their enclosure. They range in a fully enclosed and fenced area, and I believe the gate may have not latched fully. They are Brahmas, and I think they may have pushed their way through to the other side to get to the dandelions and berries. Anyway, she was limping, and bleeding a little on her nose, and just a tiny bit by her throat. Was actually red, but, didn't look like it was actively bleeding. I held her for a bit while she panted. I tried to let her drink water, which she ignored, and presented her with meal worms and some feed, and it seemed like she wanted to eat, but it might have hurt. Should I just watch her tomorrow and see how she's doing, or should I just call the vet and take her in? Any suggestions would be helpful. I feel so bad for her. I let her sleep in the coop tonight with her sisters, but will be monitoring her like a hawk tomorrow. I am currently treating the girls with duramyacin for a slight sneeze, they are on day 7 of treatment, and I assume that will likely take care of any surface scratches she got during the tussle.

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    No, Pennicillan G is best for predator wounds. If you have some I would give her that for the next few days. Feed stores carry it in their refrigerator. You will need a 1ml syringe and about a 20 ga needle. No more than two tenths of a ml in the muscle a day. Clean the wounds by flushing with clean water and then a little peroxide is good if it isn't a deep wound. For wounds like that on chickens I have found Wonder Dust works very good for stopping infections and bleeding. It's a powder that you just puff on the wounds. You can also find that in most feed stores or vet supply stores. I think others use the neosporin they have in their medicine cabinets. Then again, it may not be neccessary. They say dogs mouths are cleaner than humans! But I would play it safe. If she is in pain you might try maybe about a quarter of a baby asprin for her. If you can put it in her beak she might take it. Or crush and mix with water and use a syringe for her to drink it.
    Are you sure your dog did it? Seems strange the chicken got away from the dog and that the dog went for the chickens head. Could be a smaller predator that got her maybe? Especially if it happened close to dusk. I'm thinking skunks or opossums. Skunks are pretty bold and go wherever they want, when they want.

3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    No, it was my dog. She had her cornered in my bushes, so I put the dog in the house, and picked up and cuddled my girl. My dog is a pomeranian, so not a big girl. I have a feeling the wounds may have been scrapes from trying to get away, as I onced her over again and don't really see any actual bite marks. The spot near her comb had just the tiniest bit of blood, so i'm guessing it got scratched. i think if she'd gotten her head, she would have been more hurt. She seems to be eating, and will hobble around the yard today. I am making sure she gets fluids and food today. She seems to hobble to a place she likes. Then lays down and pecks at the grass and zones out. Will have to check out the dusts and stuff. I do have a spray that is supposed to be amazing... Vetericyn. Have you heard of it?

4. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    And I rechecked her throat, it was not a wound, it was just her red skin around her face showing when we looked. She stretched her throat out today, and I was able to get a good look at her. Poor little baby. She's only about 16 weeks old.

5. MrsBachbach

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    No, I haven't, but if its just superficial wounds what you have will be fine. No Pen G is needed for just superficial wounds. Her leg may take some time to heal and hopefully it will. You can still give the baby aspirin if you think she is in pain too much. I have even seen asprin water in the feed store made just for chickens.
    Funny, I have a pom also and my chickens free range and he never, never bothers them. Of course he isn't a dominating dog and see's me as pack leader so I guess takes his cues from me. You should take your dog on a leash in the pen with you daily, correcting his behavior, so he can get used to chickens and know they are not to be attacked but part of the pack. Don't even let him focus on them without correction. Might help avoid future accidents.
    Years ago before we had chickens I had a mix here that was never penned or leashed. She basically had the run of things outside. Then we brought chickens home. Then we let them out of the pen. I had her on a leash when we first let the chickens out. She went straight toward them and I immediately corrected her behavoir, but just to make sure she got the message, she remained tied to a leash (had never been leashed before) to the tree and had to watch the chickens free range around her for about three days. That did it for her. She never looked at the chickens again. Never. Moved away from them when they would come near and even let them eat her food. Poor Sassy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  6. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Well, I did another once over of her, and how I missed them, I will never know, but she had two bad wounds. Not bloody at all, and I had to pull her wing just right to see it. I took her to the vet, and sadly, the cost was going to be over $300 and they couldn't guarantee she 'd make it through being gassed. I felt terrible. My daughter and I decided to put her to sleep and end her suffering. I feel terrible. :-(. Good to know on the Pom. We will have to try that. We had been training and going great, but the last few weeks have been horrible. :-( I've been spending a lot of time with the chickens, and I do believe she's jealous. We just picked up a correction collar for her today. It came with a rock looking thing that lets them know when they get within a certain radius. She's now afraid of our patio, which is fine by me.

7. MrsBachbach

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I'd keep some wound powder and Pen G on hand for the future, just in case. Will save a ton of vet bill money. I've healed some pretty horrific wounds on chickens before. They do have an amazing ability to heal, assuming no broken bones or torn ligaments.

8. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Okay, I will do that. Thank you so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by