Injured Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by B. Kossum, Mar 29, 2011.

1. B. Kossum

B. Kossum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    One of my coturnix hens has a badly broken wing and is limping around. Don't have a clue what happened. I'm assuming she is hurting pretty bad. Should I go ahead and eat her or is this something that will heal up? I just figure I shouldn't leave her in pain.

Thanks

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You'd Be Amazed At The Almost Majical Healing Powers These Birds Have. Being A Hen And Primary Egg Producers I Would Tend To Give Her A Chance, More So Than A Surplus Roo [​IMG]

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:X2

If she has one good eye and can see how to eat and drink, then she should recover. If you have a spare pen, and can put her there to keep others from picking on her, then do that.

As long as she is eating, drinking, and doesn't spend any amount of time on her back, then she should recover.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I would attempt to wrap something around her holding that wing in one place to keep her from injuring herself more. And keep her away from the others. But with my experience, once I removed one to heal and then returned it, the others ended up killing it. When I removed one for just overnight it was ok when returned but when it was taken out for longer it was attacked when returned. So I just processed the ones that wouldn't recover overnight. If it was one meant for processing when it got bigger I just kept it in a separate cage till it got big enough.

I once had one that I had processed that had an infection in the wing that I knew nothing about. The bird never showed any signs of any injury or illness. So it was a wasted bird. There was no way I would have sent it to freezer camp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by