Injured Racing Pigeon Found

Pics

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
I found an injured racing pigeon on my back yard 'terrorizing' the chickens by merely standing on the opposite side of the fence. I was super concerned at first as she let me walk over and pick her up, and it looks like a hawk or something got her earlier today. The wound wasn't bleeding and was scabbed over when I found her, but there was some dried blood on the feathers. Her ring reads GB 18 P00389
DSCF5900.JPG DSCF5908.JPG
Here's some pics of the wound by her right leg.

Despite the injury, she is very sweet, active and my goodness, VERY hungry. She has been eating and drinking well, and is SUPER cuddly and clingy. She wants to be on my lap 24/7 and if I try and set her on a perch and leave the room, she follows after me.
I also wonder if she was hand reared? As she started beaking at my finger when hungry.
DSCF5928.JPG DSCF5930.JPG
DSCF5955.JPG DSCF5959.JPG DSCF5954.JPG DSCF5944.JPG
... She has kinda become a supermodel as I could not stop taking photos of her and her beautiful face. :p

Last edited:
Last edited:
How cool!:thumbsup Seems to be healing fine on its own, right?

You probably figured the '18' indicates a bird hatched this year, so young. If this were a US band the 'poo' would be the club and the 289 identifies the specific bird.

The Royal Pigeon Racing Assoc has a site for strays...
https://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/

another UK member also found one a few days ago, I guess it must be traintg season over there.:D
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/uk-pigeon-owners.1244157/

I'll keep an eye on it, but it appears to be healing well. I'll go and report the adorable lump of feathers as missing and see if I can find her owners, they must be worried sick.

I am guessing it must be training season, rock doves are a rare sight in my garden, usually just visited by wood pigeons and collared doves, so Pidove as I dubbed her for now, really caught my attention. Which then led to me noticing she wasn't even a regular rock dove!

Edit: Filled it in, turns out she is from 26.1 miles away from where I live. o.o

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye on it, but it appears to be healing well. I'll go and report the adorable lump of feathers as missing and see if I can find her owners, they must be worried sick.

I am guessing it must be training season, rock doves are a rare sight in my garden, usually just visited by wood pigeons and collared doves, so Pidove as I dubbed her for now, really caught my attention. Which then led to me noticing she wasn't even a regular rock dove!

Edit: Filled it in, turns out she is from 26.1 miles away from where I live. o.o

I think she looks real young. What fun to enjoy her (and help her out):D, even for a short time

I found an injured racing pigeon on my back yard 'terrorizing' the chickens by merely standing on the opposite side of the fence. I was super concerned at first as she let me walk over and pick her up, and it looks like a hawk or something got her earlier today. The wound wasn't bleeding and was scabbed over when I found her, but there was some dried blood on the feathers. Her ring reads GB 18 P00389
View attachment 1394107 View attachment 1394108
Here's some pics of the wound by her right leg.

Despite the injury, she is very sweet, active and my goodness, VERY hungry. She has been eating and drinking well, and is SUPER cuddly and clingy. She wants to be on my lap 24/7 and if I try and set her on a perch and leave the room, she follows after me.
I also wonder if she was hand reared? As she started beaking at my finger when hungry.
View attachment 1394109 View attachment 1394111
View attachment 1394112 View attachment 1394113 View attachment 1394118 View attachment 1394120
... She has kinda become a supermodel as I could not stop taking photos of her and her beautiful face. :p
It seems from what you read of the band her original place of origin is Great Britain and the 18 could be the year the bird hatched and the fact the bird is begging for food to me means she was hand feed I would keep the bird warm feed and water with Apple cider vinegar well help with intestinal parasites and garlic for the blood in its water then u can go on line see if there where any races or lost birds and thank you for taken care of such a beautiful creature
Crzytrkr

It seems from what you read of the band her original place of origin is Great Britain and the 18 could be the year the bird hatched and the fact the bird is begging for food to me means she was hand feed I would keep the bird warm feed and water with Apple cider vinegar well help with intestinal parasites and garlic for the blood in its water then u can go on line see if there where any races or lost birds and thank you for taken care of such a beautiful creature
Crzytrkr

I have been giving her apple cider vinegar in her water, and I was concerned at first as her poops were rather runny at first, but put it down to how much water she was guzzling down. Today her poops have firmed up, so her runny poops were caused by her being so thirsty and drinking so much.

I wasn't sure about the garlic for pigeons so I had left it out, but I'll cook up some garlic and squeeze the juice out of it for the dove. ^^

I have been providing wild bird seed mix as well as grit for her, as well as a splash of finch seed mix as a treat. I am still waiting on her owners to contact me as the report a stray page said it notified them in my email with my contact info. :)

I wasn't sure about the garlic for pigeons so I had left it out, but I'll cook up some garlic and squeeze the juice out of it for the dove. ^^
I see people just drop a gently crushed raw clove in the drinker, I think it can last through a few water changes then replace with a fresh one.:)

at. I am still waiting on her owners to contact me as the report a stray page said it notified them in my email with my contac
Update please when you hear?:caf

I see people just drop a gently crushed raw clove in the drinker, I think it can last through a few water changes then replace with a fresh one.:)

Update please when you hear?:caf

I can do that ^^I am sure Pidove would enjoy it! She was guzzling down the ACV water.

And I'll be sure to update when the owners get in contact.

?

I have been giving her apple cider vinegar in her water, and I was concerned at first as her poops were rather runny at first, but put it down to how much water she was guzzling down. Today her poops have firmed up, so her runny poops were caused by her being so thirsty and drinking so much.

I have been providing wild bird seed mix as well as grit for her, as well as a splash of finch seed mix as a treat. I am still waiting on her owners to contact me as the report a stray page said it notified them in my email with my contact info. :)
Hi me again I'm thinking the poor thing was dehydrated and if you have corn or cracked corn that would help being a carb will put wight on wich can't hurt and as for the garlic another member mentioned too crush it first then add it to the water. Good luck!!!
CRZYTRKR

?

Hi me again I'm thinking the poor thing was dehydrated and if you have corn or cracked corn that would help being a carb will put wight on wich can't hurt and as for the garlic another member mentioned too crush it first then add it to the water. Good luck!!!
CRZYTRKR

There's cracked corn in the bird seed mix, which Pidove has been loving. And I have some crushed garlic in her water. ^^

Back
Top Bottom