Injured Red (1 week ago) "Crying?"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Whispering_Raven, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    I'm very thankful for this forum. It had been a great resource before I decided to start raising chickens. This is my first flock and so far have had some misgivings with predators. I'm down to half of what I started with. [​IMG]

Anyway...Last week my chickens were attacked again. They are free range, but cooped up at dusk. One of my Bantums was caught, but seemed no worse for the ware....My precious "Sunshine" however, did not fare as well. I caught the dog with her in it's mouth. I was able to get Sunshine free and was terrified to look at her. I immediately brought her in the house to inspect, and she had/has a couple of what I consider, sever puncture wounds. The top of her back, between her wings was split to the bone is some parts and her leg was/is damaged. I put Wonder Dust on the wounds to stop the bleeding and held a bowl of water to her beak which she greedily drank.

About 2 days ago she seemed to be healing well. She was actually "jumping" onto boxes, but then realized that wasn't such a good idea. She seemed like she was crying. I carried her outside to be with the other girls for a little while and let her get some sun. Not too long...15 minutes maybe, and then I brought her back in. She chirped and chirped so I let her stay outside yesterday, but this morning she wouldn't come out of the corner of the coop, so I brought her to the grass so she could nibble and brought her back inside. She keeps cooing....like a dove, if that makes any sense. IS she CRYING?

I'm an herbalist, so I was trying to think of some things I could use on a chicken, but I really don't know. I did start putting a cap full of raw apple cider vinegar in her waterbowl to help ward off parasites and give her an energy boost. I feel like I should give her a good bath and clean the wounds out better. ANY suggestions would be of great appreciation. She is my favorite, and I'm starting to get more and more worried that something else could be happening that I just don't see.

Oh! BTW: She is about 16 weeks old
    Many Blessings!
    Raven

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    that cooing sounds like it might be the sound a broody hen makes? Is she still wanting to sit still in boxes?
    There is also a warning type of cooing sound I have heard chickens make when danger is present, at least mine have when they noticed a predator flying above.

3. Whispering_Raven

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    Thank you for your reply. I must admit, this being my first experience with chickens, I honestly don't know what a broody chicken sounds like. She is resting in the kitchen in a shallow box with wood shavings and seems quite comfortable, other than the sounds. She can stand straight, but falls to her knee when she walks too much. Should I bath her to wash the wounds better? Can I use hydrogen peroxide on the wounds?

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It sounds like a happy sound but if she is low energy or if she is weakening, you might want to treat her with antibiotics for her respiratory system since there were punctures. How are the wounds looking? I have heard my rooster cry when separated from his hens, kind of a Ooooh. Keep an eye and make sure she's eating. They can fool ya.

5. Whispering_Raven

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    Quote:I don't think she's necessarily low energy, per se, but it does seem like she's laying down more than usual. I image the stress of the attack and the wounds have taken a bit out of her. She's eating and drinking, and not refusing food or treats. I gave her some salad type greens and she ate em up within minutes. She does seem to be breathing normally and I don't hear any sounds in her chest. She does seem "sad" to me. It doesn't sound like a happy coo, but then again, I'm new to all this, so I really don't know. I'm lost on this. She gets louder if she can't see me but also seems happier out in the coop with the other girls. Should I just put her back out there? The wounds are healing, but are not healed, so I do worry about parasites and pathogens.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Hmmmm...If she's safe out there and she has shade and water, I'd leave her out. You might go out and sit with her and feed her some goodies. Usually I find the relationship changes once a hen's been sick or rescued and I've had to pamper them. They seem more docile toward me.

You know, sometimes my hens will make a long, kind of quiet Ewwwwwwww sound. It can last 10-15 seconds or so. I've noticed the young or teenage chicks do it when I tuck them in and they're happy. It's a baby sound. Several of my hens did it in chorus the other night, like a long happy *sigh*. [​IMG]

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry for your hen. If she was bitten the bite wounds will be dirty with infection. I believe in trying natural remedies as well. However, If she isn't on some antibiotic the infection will overwhelm her. Clean it with peroxide, then switch over to iodine solution diluted with water..pour over the infected areas three times a day. Let the wounds drain. Start her on Tylan or Baytril. My hen was 6.6 lbs and she was prescribed Tylan 200 .23 (1/4) cc orally once a day. My hen cooed too when she was injured. If she is in pain you can give her 12 that is twelve 81mg baby aspirin crushed in 8 oz of water. I mixed vit/mineral water with mine as well. It's crucial to get her on meds asap. THe water must be changed every twelve hours to be effective. This came from my vet. Good luck!

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry, it sounds like she has a infection!!! So sad!!! I wish I could help!!!

9. Whispering_Raven

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    Just wanted to give a quick update. I was surprised to see my Sunshine on top of the unfinished roost last night!!! It's pretty high up, about 4ft or so with no real easy way up....or down. I have a couple of steep angled boards attached to keep it steady while I'm finishing it. She's still eating and drinking. The wound on her leg looks much better but the slice down her back still looks pretty icky. I will bath her today because I noticed some dirt and debris in the wound. She's still not willing to come out of the coop with the other hens unless I'm with her and she does coo when she can't see me. But I can see them in the coop from my kitchen window and she seems perfectly content just staying in the run. Hmmm....So much to learn. Thank you everyone for your help.

Many Blessings!

Raven

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by