Injured Roo -Swollen head and eyes

dragonlady12

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 12, 2013
My poor dude. Two and a half weeks ago he was attacked and left, most likely, for dead by my jerky neighbor and his dogs. WE found him and brought him in, treated his wounds and have had him recuperating. He had a couple punctures and a lot of bruising. We have the wounds healing well, and the bruising is down. He's still having trouble putting his weight on his legs, but he's getting better day by day.

For the last week or so, we have been putting him outside again but in the grass of our enclosed backyard, away from the rest of the flock (his sister-wives and our two turkeys). His harem of sister-wives have been visiting him for the last few days and coming over the fence and sitting, eating, and chilling with him. They've been so cool and he's been trying harder to get up and walk that we finally left the gate open so his girls could come and go from the yard. Our major bad. Our female Turkey came in and just started pecking him. We got out there fairly quickly and broke it up, but today is day two and his poor head is so red, swollen, and his eyes were swollen shut. I have been putting cold compresses around his head and his eyes are sort of opening.

I am under the impression that it's day two and I know for us humans, day two is worse then the day after an accident, and I am trying not to worry about him, but he's such a snot usually, that I miss his attitude.

His name is Reeses and he's about two years old, EE.

He's eating and drinking well.

Other than just keeping his owies clean and cared for, is there any other advice? I just don't want him to get depressed and give up. His girls were looking for him this morning.

My hubby and I have decided that although the turkeys and the chickens were raised from chicks together and the turkeys and the hens are still getting along, we are going to make a separate pen for the turkeys. Let them have their own pen and apartment together away from the chickens. I want to keep Priscilla away from Reeses.

I am attaching pics of him as himself and his head now.

Reeses -

Thanks...this is my first major incident with my featherbutts. I miss him being his cocky self.

Poor guy! I would use some vetericyn on him, or saline to the eyes followed by plain Triple Antibiotic Ointment into the eyes and on the wounds and comb. It's really difficult when one is taken out of the flock, and to have to reintroduce one. Turkeys can get agressive with the hens as well. Also turkeys can get blackhead disease from being together with chickens. Some have a problem with it while others don't.

Good ideas. The cold compresses have helped. Both eyes are open now. I'm on the hunt for the Vetericyn. I get paid in a couple hours and that's top of my list. I'll just keep spoiling him and keeping the areas clean.

Back
Top Bottom