Injured Roo to put down or can I help

May 27, 2019
Smithville, MO
985AD93D-321B-454C-9180-2AC2673BF8B7.jpeg
We have two Roos that seemed to get along. I don’t know if it was a fight or a mystery accident. Part of his beak is gone and he is having trouble eating. Is there enough left that he could get better?
BC48231C-9003-4EDB-86AB-AD567012AE90.jpeg

Attachments

• 2FB363D9-0F6C-4F4E-88FA-9A40BFE2BA10.jpeg
    2FB363D9-0F6C-4F4E-88FA-9A40BFE2BA10.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 2
  • 6BB6237E-B2DB-4DE4-A029-DB48FBF50AE5.jpeg
    6BB6237E-B2DB-4DE4-A029-DB48FBF50AE5.jpeg
  • 4C87D7E5-0C84-47C8-90AA-C5FD9C06B54A.jpeg
    4C87D7E5-0C84-47C8-90AA-C5FD9C06B54A.jpeg
  • 90748DE4-F919-4543-9886-8D2ADAC70FEE.jpeg
    90748DE4-F919-4543-9886-8D2ADAC70FEE.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 2
He is probably going to be sore for a few days.
Provide him with a deeper dish to drink out of. He may not eat for a day or so but I would make a wet mash of feed for him (feed+water to the consistency of oatmeal) so he's not trying to "pick" at pellets or crumbles.

Check him for any other injures around the head/neck that may be hidden by feathers. If you find any, clean them and apply triple antibiotic ointment.
Barring that he has no other serious injuries, I think he should be fine.

Roosters can get along until they just don't. You will probably have to keep them separated from now on.

One of the best examples on BYC of how well a chicken can heal and their resilience is Miss Fluffy Bum - she did have a long way to go there at the beginning and she recieved great care from her owner. Fluffy Bum survived and thrived, so take a moment to look through some of the photos at the beginning, then the last few pages which were 3 yrs later :)https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/

Last edited:
He is in bad shape but I think with a care he could be ok, you will want to keep him separated while he heals up, as long as to much of the beak isn't gone it may grow back. without part of his beak if I remember right there was one that was even worse than that but they do learn to adapt. more concerning is what did that to him. depends on if your willing to nurse him back to health on what you want to do sometimes it's more time consuming than we have time for and if you don't have time , I would either ask around as I have seen quite a few that take in challenging chickens here locally or retired. if you can't do either then I would consider culling as would be better than slowly starving to death

He's in pretty bad shape. You could weigh him now as a baseline and watch him for a week. Probably just want a second opinion, rather a confirmation? If that is the case, I'd eat him.

He is probably going to be sore for a few days.
Provide him with a deeper dish to drink out of. He may not eat for a day or so but I would make a wet mash of feed for him (feed+water to the consistency of oatmeal) so he's not trying to "pick" at pellets or crumbles.

Check him for any other injures around the head/neck that may be hidden by feathers. If you find any, clean them and apply triple antibiotic ointment.
Barring that he has no other seriously injuries, I think he should be fine.

Roosters can get along until they just don't. You will probably have to keep them separated from now on.

One of the best examples on BYC of how well a chicken can heal and their resilience is Miss Fluffy Bum - she did have a long way to go there at the beginning and she recieved great care from her owner. Fluffy Bum survived and thrived, so take a moment to look through some of the photos at the beginning, then the last few pages which were 3 yrs later :)https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off.848424/
Thanks wyrop that was the one I was thinking but after long night of pain brain isn't working well

Back
Top Bottom