Injured roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gaelio, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Gaelio

Gaelio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Merton, Wisconsin
    Occasionally my neighbor's german shepherd makes a dash through his electric fence and goes after my chickens. I can't blame the neighbors because they tolerate my free roaming little flock when they go into their yard and scratch.
    But my cochin banty roo was laying in a pile of feathers the other morning. I know it's the dog because dogs will grab a chicken and give them a shake, sending the feathers in the tell tale round burst of shaken feathers. I picked him up and I think he was in shock. I tried putting him on the ground and he stumbled around like a drunken sailor. Thinking it might just be temporary shock, I put him in a nesting box and checked in on him when I returned from work. He now is just limping. Not sure if there's something I can or should do at this point. Maybe he has a broken leg, or maybe it's just badly sprained. The leg itself isn't crooked, he's just walking with a hitch now. Any suggestions?

2. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Keep him in a small crate/cage to limit his movements and maybe some warm soaks. See how he is in a few days.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Yes, keep him quiet for awhile and make sure he is eating and drinking. Don't force him just make sure everything's too tasty to resist. He sounds like a real survivor.

4. Gaelio

Gaelio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2010
    Merton, Wisconsin
    Thanks, fellow chickeneers, I think that's a good idea.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by