injured roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by trameghan, Mar 24, 2015.

1. trameghan

trameghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Alabama
    i just found my rooster out buy the fence. He's in shock and I've looked him over real good and don't see any injuries but on his head and comb.he's bleeding but i can't tell from where. I've cleaned him up the best i can. What do i do?

2. trameghan

trameghan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    Alabama
    I honestly have no idea what got him. His only visible injurys are to his comb but i think he has something internal going on. He's just sitting out in my isolation coop 830 my dog lost his mind amd would not stop barking until i walked with him around the whole yard. All the girls were down in one corner obviously scared. They relaxed when they saw me and the dog. after i found my cochin roo injured at 1 i did a head count and found my wyandotte roo with blood on him. He had blood on his chest and legs but no injuries. I can't decide between a predator or roo fight. The cochin is head roo and a year older than the other. He far outweighs the young one and the other runs away whenever he comes near. I can't see them fighting without the cochin having caused some injury to the other. I know i have a possum back there. He got one of my meat chickens a few months ago and i never was able to catch him. i don't quite know how to proceed now.

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Chicken Obsessed

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    He may just be in shock. I would keep it quiet where he is and make sure he has and can get to clean water and regular food. If he is not improving in the morning I would offer him a small bit of his favorite treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by