Injured Rooster and No Vet Care available- I am Annoyed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AWChickens, Aug 31, 2009.

1. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I have a rooster who has injured one leg. The injury appears to be in the upper leg/thigh and is possibly a dislocation, although I think it's just badly wrenched. He's very eager pursuing the ladies in the morning, and my best guess is he's injured it going to or from a perch. A little checking on here and a few other places, and all sources say this kind of injury needs a vet visit. He's perfectly healthy otherwise and one of my favorites. We have 2 large animal/farm practices near me- and I was surprised to discover that NEITHER will treat poultry. They referred me to two local avian vets, and both of those said no as well! they only treat 'pet' birds, I pointed out that I thought any bird that some one was willing to pay a vet bill for should be considered a 'pet' in my opinion- I can't believe there's a phone book full of vets in my area and not a SINGLE one will treat poultry!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'd try to massage the injured leg, stretching it out as you go. See if that will help pop it into place. I'd also put him in a dog crate on a towel, w/puppy pads if you have any, so that he can not stress it anymore. Let him rest and perhaps give some aspirin to see if that helps his pain.

I'd also say that perhaps you can go to your local humane society, unannounced with your roo and ask if they'd help him.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    call the ASPCA and ask if you can be prosecuted for not taking care of your animals, if so, can you have someone prosecuted for refusing to treat them.

4. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    I'd try to massage the injured leg, stretching it out as you go. See if that will help pop it into place. I'd also put him in a dog crate on a towel, w/puppy pads if you have any, so that he can not stress it anymore. Let him rest and perhaps give some aspirin to see if that helps his pain.

I've tried this already, I think the aspirin did help. I've got him in a 'bird sling' right now, so he can reach food and water but isn't putting any weight on his legs. I talked to someone in the animal lab at the local university, they recommended a vet about an hour away- so I'll be heading there over the weekend. For now he's stable and eating/drinking so I think that's the best I can do on my own.​

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You could also try to find a wild bird rehabilitator, they can probably help; most vets have lists.

One reason non-avian vets will often refuse to see birds is that their body systems are so very different from mammals, particularly relating to illnesses. One reason avian vets refuse to see chickens is that they consider them a danger to more exotic (read expensive) birds as many illnesses that chickens get also affect parrots and the like.

That said, I think that vets should be willing to see and treat any sort of animal they are licensed to treat. Even a vet who hasn't practiced or read-up on birds since vet school generally has more knowledge and resources than a non-vet.

6. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    It is probably just as far away, but you might try Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic - it is just off 465 at 96th on the west side of Indy. We have taken all sorts of animals there, both pets and injured wild animals we found. They also have a working association with wild life rehabilitation people, and might be able to give you a name of some one in your area. Their number is 317 879-8633.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by