Injured rooster and where to keep him in cold weather?

satnam

Hatching
Jan 19, 2016
Hello , my rooster was injured by a dog today. He is missing a tail and feathers on his butt approximately 2 by 2 niches of open skin. I treated it with antibiotic ointment right after the bite. He seems to be fine eating and drinking. He is staying in a coop with 4 hens. It's about 20 F. I need to know if I should keep him inside the house instead during the nights, at least for few days. Please help with your advice.

welcome-byc.gif
I would be tempted to crate him in a dry draft free place for the first night at least just in case he is still in shock. Returning him to the flock tomorrow morning and monitoring how he is doing.

Thank you. I would do so. Also after he was injured I saw a hen going after him , not really attacking but trying to pock I think. I could not see clearly. I am afraid hens can injure him even more if I were to leave him in a coop at night . Is that common ?

Not uncommon to peck at the blood. You may want to get some 'Blu-cote' at your local feed mill or farm supply and paint his butt. Be careful - that stuff really stains.

Back
Top Bottom